Gourami issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mooselbell

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My Opaline Gourami has an issue around his gill. Can't really tell if it is gill or right below the gill plate. (attached some pics). He is in a community tank 56G column, filtering with Fluval 405, been doing 25% pwc every day. Tank has been cycled and occupied for approx 5 months. There has been no new deco or anything. Tucked the fish in for the night on Thursday and woke up Friday to this. My paramaters temp 82f (been a little warm here, heater set to 78), ammo 0, Nitrite 0, nitrate 40, PH 7.6 using the API master test kit. He also is not eating for the last two days. I even tried bloodworms, normally he is first in line, with nothing last night, not even a nibble.
I do have a 2G I can set up with some water and gravel from the main aquarium if I need to quarantine him.
Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated, I don't want to lose this guy.

100_3114.jpg

100_3129.jpg

100_3137.jpg

That looks pain full! I have never seen anything like it. I wish I could help! Maybe it is a tumor?

He could have gill flukes. Is he flashing or scraping ??

No flashing or scraping. He is swimming like normal. I don't think it is a tumor either. Only because this wasn't something that grew, it wasn't there at night and was there the next morning.

So now he is flashing against almost everything!!! thank you flossie, I looked up gill flukes and it appears this is what is going on... my molly is starting to show some feathering around her gills too.
So now how do I treat for gill flukes? thank you

Mooselbell said:
So now he is flashing against almost everything!!! thank you flossie, I looked up gill flukes and it appears this is what is going on... my molly is starting to show some feathering around her gills too.
So now how do I treat for gill flukes? thank you

Wow you're so welcome :)

Symptoms: The fish scrapes itself against objects, rapid gill movement, mucus covering the gills or body, the gills or fins may be eaten away, the skin may become reddened.

There are many species of flukes, which are flatworms about 1 mm long, and several symptoms that are visible. They infest gills and skin much like ich, but the difference can be seen with a hand lens. You should be able to see movement and possibly eye spots, which is not found in ich. Gill flukes will eventually destroy the gills thus killing the fish. Symptoms of a heavy infestations are pale fish with drooping fins, rapid respiration, glancing off aquarium decor, and /or hollow bellies.

Treatment can best be done with a 10 to 30 minute bath in 10 mg per liter of potassium permanganate. Or treat the whole tank with 2 mg per liter, but this method is messy and dyes the water.

I found this online... I'm not familiar with treatment but since we know what it is that's a start :) I'm sure someone more experienced than me will have the best answer for u :) I'm so glad I could help

Sorry I don't know the treatment but I
Wouldn't want to give the wrong advice... I would treat both fish.. Looks like it's a
Tough one :(

I have read about praziquantel . U could try it ...

Back
Top Bottom