Gourami turning yellow??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stepho725

Aquarium Advice Freak
Wondering what is going on with my Gourami. Went to feed the tank and they are all much slower than usual and my piggy fish - Mommy Gourami - an Opaline Gourami is turning yellow all in her fins. My black neons also look a little yellowish but nothing close to the Opaline's discoloring. Anyone know what could be going on in there???

Have you tested your parameters yet? What do they read? What type of water change schedule do you have? Some more info will help us to help you better!

Have you tested your parameters yet? What do they read? What type of water change schedule do you have? Some more info will help us to help you better!

Okay my parameters are:
PH - less than a 6
Nitrate - 20
Nitrite - 0
Ammonia - .25
So because my ph was so drastically low I added a bit of baking soda and her the yellow discoloration has faded some and everyone is at their normal activity levels...idk if that was the definite reason...I also hadn't fed in two days which was from once a day.
Just did a 20% pwc on Friday afternoon and continue to every two weeks depending on parameters could be from 20-50%

If your ph has dropped this low, this is the likely cause of your fish's distress. I would suggest starting by increasing your water changes to 50% weekly. If you continue to have ph issues, these will need to be further addressed to keep your tank stable.

If your ph has dropped this low, this is the likely cause of your fish's distress. I would suggest starting by increasing your water changes to 50% weekly. If you continue to have ph issues, these will need to be further addressed to keep your tank stable.

To raise ph add some baking soda 6 is very low. Add small doses until the ph is at 7 start at just 1/4 cup let sit for about an hour do a test. If its at 7 your good if still below 7 add more baking soda

To raise ph add some baking soda 6 is very low. Add small doses until the ph is at 7 start at just 1/4 cup let sit for about an hour do a test. If its at 7 your good if still below 7 add more baking soda

We do not know the cause of the ph drop. Adding chemicals should always be the last resort for a tank situation. 1/4 cup of baking soda is ALOT of baking soda. Simply increasing the wcs is a simple and natural approach to addressing an issue with ph drop. If the Op continues to have issues with the ph dropping, a natural approach would be to use aragonite or crushed coral in his or her filter to stabilize the ph and increase the kh in the tap's range without raising it.

We do not know the cause of the ph drop. Adding chemicals should always be the last resort for a tank situation. 1/4 cup of baking soda is ALOT of baking soda. Simply increasing the wcs is a simple and natural approach to addressing an issue with ph drop. If the Op continues to have issues with the ph dropping, a natural approach would be to use aragonite or crushed coral in his or her filter to stabilize the ph and increase the kh in the tap's range without raising it.

Yeah I only put about a half tsp of the baking soda. Will increase pwc.

Back
Top Bottom