Grrrr..heaters that are preset!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bonibelle

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am trying to make a hospital tank for my GBR but the small tank that I have has a pre-set heater...so I can't raise the temperature. It seems that the heaters for small tanks don't allow for increases in the temperature. If I just add another of these, I will have the same result..:confused:

Just buy yourself a heater than you can set yourself. The pre-set ones are garbage.

believe it or not, I can't find one for small tanks..I have looked because I thought the presets were junk also..but neither the local fish stores, petsmart, petco nor walmart carry anything for the small tanks that let you manipulate the temperature at all..

Have you checked on-line? I'm sure you could find a ton. Even when I had 10 gallon tanks running, I never had a preset heater.

Oh, I missed that part somehow, lol.

How small is the QT? My local petsmart has adjustable heaters down to 75 or 50w I believe. You can get by with a 100w in a 10 gallon, as long as it's working correctly the thermostat will turn it off at the designated temperature.

I am using a 2.5 gallon mini bow acrylic tank. I actually bought a heater for my new 10 and switched it with the one in the mini but they are both pre-set. The problem that I am having at Petsmart is that they have been running a big sale for a couple of months on aquariums and related items..and it doesn't seem like they are restocking anything. I have been to 2 stores in the past couple of days. I will try another tonight but I am betting they will also have limited inventory. Fortunately, my GBR doesn't seem any worse today and is still eating well. Thanks for your help..guess I need another tank..lol!

If you're looking at a quarantine tank, I'd recommend a 10 gallon. For either new fish in quarantine or as a medical tank, it would be easier to manage and dose medications (if necessary). It's also a healthy size for a fish to be comfortable while they're in there.

I have to find a place to put another tank. I actually have a 20 low sitting in my garage. Maybe that would be the way to go..just I have to find a safe stand and a location. Just worried while I am doing all of this, my fish is suffering.. Jeta, I love your Grey..I have a Yellow Nape who is such a treasure..:)

So I found a heater at a Petsmart store..it is 100W..The tank that I have is actually a 15 low..I am thinking that maybe I will just put it on the tile floor in my sunroom since it will be temporary..Going to set it up tomorrow and hope my fish gets better because my husband doesn't understand why I just spent $50.00 on another heater for my $5.00 fish..:(

PennPlax heaters are adjustable. They have 25 watt, 50 watt, 75 watt etc. They are "preset" to 76, but you can set them to what you want. Same thing with Hagen. They use the word preset on adjustable heaters.

The 25 would have been perfect, but I wasn't able to locate one..I ended up with an Aqueon that I think will be fine in my 15..I probably just paid too much for it ..

Pet supermarket has the cheapest price on 50 watt heaters. I am using about 30 of them, without problems, and they have a good range and very good gauge to set by.
Namaste,
Gypsy

Back
Top Bottom