Guppies keep dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bbrandonnm

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 360 degree tank with a undergravel filter and a bubble stone going through the middle. I just bought a heater for my tank the smallest heater they had like a 50w its preset to 76 so the water temp is always between 72-76 degrees. And I have a few plants in my tank. I use api tap water conditioner. It's 2-3 drops per gallon. I cycled my fish tank for a week after that I brought the water to the pet store to test the water they said it was perfect. So I bought some guppies and after an hour they died I didn't know why so I cleaned my tank all out again and started over this time my mom gave me four guppies from her fish tank that has been alive and well for years brought them home and within the next day they died I don't know what's going on :/ can some one please help it's really making me bummed out ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1431314639.022703.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It sounds like maybe the tank is not cycled. I would purchase an API liquid test and a bottle of Prime. Use Prime instead of the API conditioner you have. Also useful is the Seachem ammonia alert.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I cycled my tank for a week before my mom gave me some fish and what does the prime do?

I cycled my tank for a week before my mom gave me some fish and what does the prime do?

How did you cycle it? A tank does not cycle in 1 week, unless you used a seeded filter media from another tank. Is that how you did it? What were the water parameters when it was tested at the store? Prime is a water conditioner that also detoxifies ammonia and, I believe, also nitrites. Both of those may kill your guppies in high levels.

I did the fish less cycle because I don't have a lot of money to buy a ammonia test kit so I did the fish less cycle with flake food for a week and then brought it into the pet store and they didn't tell me the parameters they just said it was perfect and they didn't know what was wrong. My guppies are actually dying right now :/ but when I try to cycle it again what's the best way to cycle it that's not going to break the bank haha

I am no expert, but I just cycled 3 little tanks like yours. All with fish. From my experience, I would get the Seachem ammonia alert and the Prime conditioner. Both of those items are relatively cheap and will last a very long time. Prime will keep your fish from being poisoned by the ammonia and nitrites while the tank cycles. The ammonia alert will tell you when ammonia levels are safe. If they are not, do a water change. It may be too late for the fish you already have, though. But that's what I would do at this point. Maybe start over with the new items and a hardier fish. Or do a proper fishless cycle, but I have no experience with that.

I did the fish less cycle because I don't have a lot of money to buy a ammonia test kit so I did the fish less cycle with flake food for a week and then brought it into the pet store and they didn't tell me the parameters they just said it was perfect and they didn't know what was wrong. My guppies are actually dying right now :/ but when I try to cycle it again what's the best way to cycle it that's not going to break the bank haha

How many gallons is the tank? It looks awfully small especially for four guppies.

As was said, a week isn't enough time to cycle a tank. Pet stores aren't the most reliable sources for testing your water because 1.) they want to make a sale, if they tell you your tank is ready you'll buy fish. If those fish die...you'll buy more, and 2.) they use test strips because they are cheaper which are often very inaccurate. The best way to test your water is by buying a liquid test kit, one that you'll see most recommended is the API master freshwater kit. While the $30 may seem pricey, you're getting a lot of tests for the amount of money so your per unit cost is less than if you went with strips.

There are plenty of guides to fishless cycling that you can look up. Basically you add some form of ammonia, either through flake food, a piece of raw shrimp, or the actual cleaning product ammonia, and then the tank takes care of the rest. You just have to test and redose ammonia when the bacteria begin using it up. Again, just browse online or search here for how to fishless cycle.

A cycle should take around 3 weeks to a month to complete, sometimes longer. If you can get some filter media from your mom's tank then that would speed things up a lot. If that is one of those little 2 gallon aquariums though unfortunately you're quite limited on what fish can go in there. Honestly that's even cramped for a single betta fish, let alone any amount of guppies. Tanks under 5 gallons usually are best reserved for a little shrimp colony or a snail and some plants.

It sounds like your falling into a big chain trap, the cycle of them saying everything is okay when it's not then the fish die and you buy more...

A fishless cycle with flake food will not cycle a tank. Does the under grave filter have any media? What size tank is it? Since the big chains will use a inaccurate way of testing, you should save up for that API test kit. As far as getting your cycling going, try to get some sponge media or gravel from your mom's tank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It sounds like your falling into a big chain trap, the cycle of them saying everything is okay when it's not then the fish die and you buy more...

A fishless cycle with flake food will not cycle a tank. Does the under grave filter have any media? What size tank is it? Since the big chains will use a inaccurate way of testing, you should save up for that API test kit. As far as getting your cycling going, try to get some sponge media or gravel from your mom's tank.

I coundnt agree more. This is a really good post. He/she is listening to the pet store people and basing off assumption, rather than listening to experienced aquariusts on this forum, which is only gonna delay his/her learning and make it impossible for us to help!

Sense this post I have bought a new fish tank a ten gallon one with a new air stone and pump plus it came with a filter. Its been just idling with nothing in it for about 5-6 days what do you suggest I do next.

Sense this post I have bought a new fish tank a ten gallon one with a new air stone and pump plus it came with a filter. Its been just idling with nothing in it for about 5-6 days what do you suggest I do next.

If it's a new filter and tank you should look into a fishless cycle or ask a LFS for used filter media.

You're local fish store. Hopefully you have a small local business and nor a petco ir petsmart

Back
Top Bottom