Guppies losing tail color

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joannde

Aquarium Advice Addict
I bought 4 guppies 2 days ago. Last night 1 of the 4 seem to have lost all the color off his tail - he's hiding at the bottom of the tank and did not come out to eat. 2 others are moderately affected with up to 3/4 of the tail color missing. One seems fine.

The fins are there, they've just lost their color, the edges do not appear ragged.

1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).

3 guppies. Loss of tail color - looks like the color has been "sucked" right off.

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.

pH 8.2, NH3 = 0, NO2 = 0, NO3 = 10 , temp = 80

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?

29 gallon, 1 month. Guppies purchased 2 days ago.

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.

Whisper 60

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?

1 dwarf coral platy, 3/4" - 4 platies 1.5" - 5 panda cories 1.5" - 1 neon tetra 1" - 12 mystery snails 1"

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?

30% PWC yesterday; vaccumed bottom (bottomless tank), PWCs done weekly

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?

New fish purchased 2 days ago; drip acclimated over 90 minutes

What do you think it is ? and how can I treat it (remember, I have snails in the tank so I need invert safe meds)

Thanks a mil

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?

no changes other than the fish

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?

no changes to diet; Hikari micro pellets, tetra flakes, hikari sinking pellets

Loss of color is a general sign of stress. After 2 days your fish should be settling in and should not be that stressed so we need to find the cause of this stress.

Did you get 1 male and 3 female guppies? A possibility is if you have more than one male they could be picking on him, but in a tank that size with that many fish, I wouldn't think so.

Your water is on the high side of their PH toleration but its within reason so I don't see any problem with the water parameters.

In short I guess I would observe him and see if his color comes back over time, if it doesn't we need to more actively find what is stressing your fish.

Guppies died after losing tail color

I had to go out for a few hours, so I removed the 3 that were affected and put them in the pail I use for PWCs and added a small airstone. 2 of them died while I was out. The one that is left still has no color on his tail. I did notice that on one of the two that died that the color was also gone from the back of his body.

EDIT - ALL THREE HAVE DIED NOW. Could be that I put them into shock when I moved them into the bucket - Hubby was complaining that we would be late so I used tap water and prime - diff pH (7.6 tap vs 8.2 tank) - temp was approx the same. (end Edit)

They are (were) all males - there is one left in the tank and he seems perfectly fine at this time.

I'm very concerned about the rest of the tank actually - I hate to think that a disease might have been introduced. I do know that the guppys were at the LFS for a week and I checked the tank to ensure there was no sign of illness in any of the fish in the tank before purchasing them.

On the pH - I can't seem to get it down. My tapwater tests at 7.4(ish). I did add some sodium bicarb when I first set the tank up as I was going to do African Cichlids, then decided it wouldn't be the best fit for the fish. I've done at least a half dozen PWCs since them, ranging from 30 - 50%, but the pH still won't come down.

So do I need to worry about the rest of the tank ? (I'm going to set up the 10gal for the bettas today so that I can use one of their 2.5g as a qt / hospital going forward).

SECOND EDIT: I lost a panda cory now too - could have been the newly added one, difficult to tell them apart

Back
Top Bottom