Have I over filled my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ecobr

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I have a 180 Litre tank and introduced to many fish to soon and as a result have high amonia levels. I am using ammo lock and doing regular water changes and hope for this to work although I have lost quite a few fish.
My question is now whether I have to many fish in my tank, I will list my fish below.

22 x Guppies
1 x Rainbow Albino Shark
1 x Bala Shark
1 x Red tail Platty
1 x Pleco
1 x Angel fish

I have lost about 2 guppies, 6 tetra, 2 Clown Loach and 1 Platty and 1 angel fish in the past 3 months.

Also some have my guppies have had babies and I can see about 5 tiny babies around one of my plants which have not yet been eaten by my Angel fish (not sure why).

Any comments will be appreciated.

yea you have definitely over stocked. the bala shark needs at least a 75 gallon tank. this thing will grow over a foot easily.

Don't use ammo-lock. Just do the daily water changes to get the ammonia down to .25 or under and dechlor the water. Your tank will balance out.

3 months? that's a long time for a cycle. what else is going on? how is your water that you are putting in?

I have had abit of a nightmare really, I have done regular water changes, I did another 50% water change yesterday. My PH is 7.4, Amonia still looks high although I only use one of those sticks that change colour, the colour lloks green so Amonia was high although I have been using Ammo Lock so these readings are now not relevant as Ammo Lock will still show as Amonia just not harmful. Water Temp is about 24.75. I have 1 fairly large real plant and several ornamental object. I am now getting lots of Algae although I think this is due to me keeping the light on to long which I have now changed. I am really frustrated now as I have now lost my Rainbow shark, this has been in the tank for about 2 months. Not really sure what else I can do, I still think the Nitrate Cycle has not been effective. Today most of my fish are swimming at the top of the water which is a signal for lack of oxygen. Maybe I'm just not cut out to look after fish, I feel like I have tried everything, my mate has a tank and has done almost nothing to his and had no deaths at all, he even introduced fish 1 day after setting up.

When I do water changes, I use hot and cold water from the tap to get the temp right and I then add Nutrafin Aqua Plus to get rid of the Chlorine etc. I fill the bucket put the Nutrafin in and then put the water into the tank almost immediatley.

Don't use ammo-lock. Just do the daily water changes to get the ammonia down to .25 or under and dechlor the water. Your tank will balance out.

+1

you might try taking the decorations out and see if you have a fish stuck in one. :(

do you clean your gravel when doing water changes? also, i suggest getting a liquid ammonia test kit. might want to stop using that ammolock and just do 35% water changes daily until ammonia is gone.

Thanks guys fish seem a little better the last day or two. There is one fish that died although I never found it, I check all the decorations but no sign. Anyhow hopefully the fish will be ok now. Anyone have any suggestions for controlling the guppy babies?

Back
Top Bottom