Heartbroken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ArtistGardener

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought six seemingly healthy harlequin rasboras a little over two weeks ago and kept them in quarantine for two weeks. Within days of moving them to my big tank, they were dying left and right. When I was down to three I took them out and put them in the hospital tank and despite antibiotics they all died. I thought it was columnaris, but yesterday I lost a pristella tetra, today I found a neon dead and two more pristellas dying. I removed another pristella that was fading in color and inactive. I fear I'll lose all of my tetras, which is about half of my tank. It appears to be neon tetra disease. I am down to ten neons and four pristellas in the tetra family. Is this the end of my tetras? :( Should I be concerned for the platys, gouarmi, and other non-tetra species? Truly heartbroken! Two weeks is obviously not enough time in quarantine. The neons and pristellas have been healthy in that tank for almost six months. I am kicking myself!!!!

Sorry to hear. This actually just happened to me too after buying a small school of Red Eye Tetras. Oddly, whatever they had killed all of the Red Eyes, but didn't harm any other fish, including the other types of Tetras I had. I still have not figured out what it was.

Unfortunately this will happen to all aquarists and must just be taken as a harsh learning experience. =[

AliGee, have you added any additional tetra species to the tank since your outbreak?

No... I had two types of Tetras in my tank before I added the third type that apparently ended up being infected with something. None of the other tetras have been affected... It was the ODDEST thing!!!

I hope it goes as well when you do add others. I'm now down to two pristellas. I am not confident that I won't lose all of the 10 neons, too. :(

Does anyone know if my gourami, SAEs, platys and clown pleco are safe from this horrible disease? I'm finding conflicting information on it.

An update on my scourge of neon tetra disease: I ended up losing all of my pristella tetras, and now my gorgeous dwarf gourami appears to be sick, as well. I've been reading up on this disease and it seems most species are not safe from it. Since my first losses (the harlequin rasboras), I have removed each sick fish into quarantine and tried both gram negative and gram positive antibiotics to make sure it isn't something else (no luck). I have done massive water changes in the main tank in an attempt to remove as many protozoan spores as possible, and even dosed the entire tank with Parasite Guard because I read that metronidazole has antiprotozoan qualities. Weirdly, I only lost one neon tetra so far.

Stock left in the my 55 gallon: 2 SAE, 10 neon tetra, one clown pleco, 1 lonely albino cory, 5 platy, 1 sick dwarf gourami who will be coming out shortly.

Water parameters are excellent: Ammonia-0, Nitrite-0, Nitrate-5, pH-8.0.

Has anyone lost non-tetra species to this disease?

Is ur ph meant to b that high? R all ur fish tolerant if it being that high? If not it could b y they r getting sick and nit recovering

Sent from my LG-E460f using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My pH is normally high (the entire midwest is like this). My fish were all healthy for six months until the infected harlequin rasbora's went in the tank. I have two other tanks, both over a year old with very happy, healthy fish.

Oh i c maybe they all caught what ever the rasbora had and may not b something treatment.can fix

Sent from my LG-E460f using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom