Help !!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mom2reds

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 100 gal. tank that is cycled, I have
7 neon tetras
2 lemon tetras
2 bosemian rainbows (sp)
2 dwarf goramis (sp)
1 clown loach
1 sm. BN pleco
3 rummy nose tetras
My problem is that I belive I have Ich. One of the rummy's looks like someone rubbed chalk on him. I have all so lost on lemon and one neon in the last two days, but the did not look sick prior to them dieing and the snails had gotten to them befor I saw them after they had died. I know I am supposed to raise the temp up to 87 degress my question is can I add salt with my stoking list?

TIA
Tess

Why do you want to add salt, to relieve stress or to try to get rid of the ich? Are you even sure that you have it? Temp raising is supposed to be among the best ways to treat for ich. I would look for some medication as well if you are having fish die already.

Does it look like grains of salt? Can you get a pic?

The salt is supposed to aid in them breathing. The higher temperature water can affect the amount of oxygen in the water.

I just recently when through a bad outbreak of ich. If it is Ich, Slowly raise your temperature (1-1.5 degrees per 12 hours) to get it up above 86. You'll also want to add more aeration to help them breathe. You can do this by adding an airstone, and/or lowering the water level if you're running a HOB. The increased surface agitation increases the oxygen in the water. I did both, and didn't notice any of my fish having issues breathing.

Keep an eye on your fish, and maintain that water temp for at least 2 weeks AFTER the last symptoms of ich have disappeared.

Medications aren't very effective for Ich, as ich is only susceptible to meds during 1 phase of it's life cycle, and it's not always easy to catch.

I am not sure if it is ich it just looks like some one took chalk and colored my tetra back side with it. I thought the salt would help with the ich and relive some of the stress from the higher temps and no I can't get a picture my cammera does not work. I have raised the temp all ready overy the last two days my tank temp is 87 degrees as of right know I have two cannister filters and i have the water outputs directed to the surface so there is a lot of water agitation. I don't have an air pump big enough for my tank all I have is the one for my ten gallon tank. All of my fish seem to be swimming around just fine no one is at the top of the tank. Please keep the adivce cooming
Thanks Tess

if you're fish are fine, it's probably okay. but even the smaller airpump will help to some extent if you feel it's needed.

It's hard to picture what you're describing. It almost sounds to me like this could be a bacterial or fungal infection, and not necessarily ich at all.

Big fan of the Jungle Fungus cure fizz tabs. Easy to dose, and work very well from my experience. Is it just one fish affected? If so, think about removing it to the 10 gal to treat.

Fizz tabs will color your substrate if left on light colored substrate for too long. melt it on a plate in the tank if needed.

Moved to Unhealthy fish forum.

It does sound like a fungus. I also use Jungle brand medication for fungus treatments. As mentioned if it is only one fish, QT is best and cheaper than treating bigger tanks.

Well the A.M. I got up to find one of my gormies and two of my rummy nose tetras dead. I went to a trusted LFS and the owner told me that more than likely it was a bacterial infection and the chalky like coloring that I was seeing on the one rummy nose was color loss do to stress he sold me a bottle of melafix and told me to half strength dose my tank because of my loach. He also sais that the Lubbock city water is so hard that it stress fish out and sais that I should start mixing in RO water to bring the PH down and the water hardness.
We will see if this works and hope that I don't lose anymore fish .

Thanks for all the help and if you can think of anything else please let me now

Tess

Back
Top Bottom