Help Fish Dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Out of interest, would you have the ammonia reading before fish were added?

From memory bacteria will start to grow on carbon after two weeks or so. Normally that shouldn't matter when it gets replaced as you have heaps of bacteria in other filter media.

I've never been really convinced on bio-balls for surface area - wondering if the filter is struggling.

Down to my last guppy this morning :(

Temp 76
PH 7.4
Ammonia .25
Nitrites .25
Nitrate 5.0 and holding

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397393370.345699.jpg

Hmm, I'm wondering if ph is reading a little more. Can never tell with the colours.

I'd turn off the heater. Ammonia is more toxic at higher ph and temp so turning off the heater or setting to the lowest level for the fish should help.

Edit - prime is a water conditioner, water are you using at the moment to make tap water safe?

Edit - add a pinch of salt (like table salt with no additives). This will help the fish with the nitrite and being a guppy, the salt won't harm.

Last edited:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397395369.738234.jpg

This is what I've been adding on water changes plus I use water from my zero water filter that removes everything from the water.

Thanks everyone for your advice. With my last fish dying overnight i am going to do a fishless cycle so that i am no longer a fish serial killer

STOP FEEDING, this will help your levels not rise. your fish don't need to eat right now. then need good quality water.

Big water changes are required. like suggested test morning and night till cycle is done. the less you feed the less ammonia nitrites and nitrates will rise. any live plants? if so make sure there is not rotting or dead leaves as this will add to ammonia. lights on for 8 hours a day will help too.

Your ph was to high you want it at 6.6-7.2

Sent from my NX008HD8G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Your ph was to high you want it at 7.0 anything other than that, then you will see some bad side effects. Do wc, dechlorinate it, or go to publix and use the water thingy( thats what i use really good crystal clear water my fish love it) . Sometimes i have seen people use 30 gallon filter on a 10 gallon tank. So yeah basically what i know hope it was useful.

Sent from my NX008HD8G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom