Help help ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Potluck

Aquarium Advice Addict
Water parameters are perfect
0 ammonia
0 nitrite
Ph 7.5
Nitrate 20

It's lightly planted I cannot take my plants out they are attached to my drift wood I also have clown loaches which can't handle certain meds please I need advice on what to do I've never had ich before, I was told 1 tablespoon salt per 10 gallons raise water temp to 82-83 but that will also kill my plants. I can't use rid ich plus cause it has formaldehyde which is hard on loaches part help.

Don't even know how I got this, nothing new to the tank expect my roommate used an old fish net (not my Bran new one) they found in the basement to put my turquoise in time out (yes they got an ear full)
9b84c3cf3275ef9f662e40ce4dba8021.jpg
b335318a5ae3ac1dbba5516a63f77b7d.jpg

Update : my lfs called me back saying to turn the heat up to 82-83 as you don't really need 86 as that just starves oxygen even more during the night when my plants are consuming it.

They said to dose 10 ml kordon rid ich + which is what I have here already (ordered more) , which would be half the dose for a 40 gal which she said that's what she consider mine cause of my substrate bed decor etc etc, I have my temp at I think 83 I have to get a better thermometer like a digital one but say 83, dosed 10 ml kordon rid ich +,will do 10% pwc tomorrow with a heavy gravel vac and every night before another dose on the final day will add carbon to filter and do a 30% pwc.

What I need to know is what to watch out for if it's affecting my loaches badly and plants badly, also how long to treat for

I have used kordon rid ich + with my clown loaches.
1/2 dose day 1 then up to full if they handle the first well.
Remember to keep up on daily waterchanges to help remove the ichs when they fall of.
The heat is not needed with the med ,but may speed things up ?
Follow rid ich directions, continue treatment till no spots are seen for 3-5 days.
Good luck.

I have used kordon rid ich + with my clown loaches.
1/2 dose day 1 then up to full if they handle the first well.
Remember to keep up on daily waterchanges to help remove the ichs when they fall of.
The heat is not needed with the med ,but may speed things up ?
Follow rid ich directions, continue treatment till no spots are seen for 3-5 days.
Good luck.
Ty bandit, clowns are hiding won't come out so I'm not thinking they are not happy right now, they all 3 are wedged together cuddling in a cave in my Texas holey rock

Is it common for the fish to get worse meaning (covered more)before they get better? I just went and looked at the tank and the fish that had them bad earlier are almost completely covered now?

Does it Matter if I have the light on or off as I turned it off to lower stress

The light only matter s for the fish. Ich has no eyes they say?
If the fish are swimming[the huddling together is normal for clowns] and eating after the first dose I would get right up to full strength..

Know the enemy...
https://web.archive.org/web/20160313202109/http://skepticalaquarist.com/ichthyophthirius

Best link going on ich.
You have to kill it or it will kill your fish.
Change water daily and dose daily.
If the color from rid ich + is gone so is the med and re dosing with water change is needed.

Rid ich + is light sensitive as I just read it so lights off it is, fish eating is good the clowns are not and staying in cave, I'm staying with half a dose due to plants and loaches in not risking it, color in the tank isn't much when using half a dose in a 55 gallon, doing treatments every 24 hours, they get worse before they get better meaning more on fish because the meds working and the ich is hatching and reattaching to save their lives, 5 gallon pwc tonight at 8 pm, 10 ml treatment of rid ich, if by say sun I don't see improvements I will go up to 3/4 strength.

@Potluck, I have always had success with the temperature at 86 degrees. As a matter of fact, I recently bought some Von Rio Tetras from Pet World and of course I did not quarantine the fish...rookie mistake! Anyway, I turned the heater up to 86 for two weeks and applied an airstone...Ich is gone without meds.

Well I took a video of my tank after the water change and rid ich + dosing, it does not really discolor my water like it would if I used a full dose, loaches seem to be labored a bit so upping the dose would not be good in my opinion, I am increasing my temp to 83 but heat is not nessessary with the rid ich med, I would of tried just heat but I honestly just want this fine so my fishes don't have to suffer anymore so I went with the rid ich method.

https://youtu.be/NNePQsxlkAU

Wish there was more I could do my poor fish, the clowns literally gonna kill himself/herself by banging into the drift wood trying to knock the ich off, it looks absolutely brutal, I feel helpless as I'm doing all I can do :(

Look up an inch medication on the internet that is safe for loaches and plants.

Back
Top Bottom