Help. Im new to all this and I can't tell if my neon tetras are sick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tcoleman

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Is there something wrong with the new batch of tetras I bought? You can see my first batch are brightly coloured and smaller and then the 5 I bought today are bigger and their orange/red stripe is dull? :( they're acting normal ie. eating, swimming around and staying with the rest if their school. Please help!ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400078484.233061.jpg

Your Fish

Is there something wrong with the new batch of tetras I bought? You can see my first batch are brightly coloured and smaller and then the 5 I bought today are bigger and their orange/red stripe is dull? :( they're acting normal ie. eating, swimming around and staying with the rest if their school. Please help!View attachment 237180

Hello tc...

Unless you have experience in fish biology, it's difficult to know if you have a sick fish or not. Just keep the tank water pure by changing a lot of it and changing it often. Smaller tanks up to 30 gallons should get a 50 percent water change every week and the filter equipment should be serviced too. Floating plants are good for the water too. Feed a variety of frozen, freeze dried and flaked. Cobalt probably has the best flaked product. Feed a little every couple of days.

B

The fish you got today are most likely just off colour, this will be a natural response to the stress of capture, transport and release. Then the consequent adjustments to the new environment in which you have placed them.

Give them a day or two and they should colour up nicely.

This is common with all new specimens.

Observe closely and possibly make notes or take pictures. These can prove useful if something takes a turn for the worst. You will have some information which may give you the answer to the problem, whatever it may be.

(Some fish are faded at dawn and colour up after "sunrise" I have observed this with many different species of fish, similarly if you switch on the room light at night time (for us) faded fish are a common sight, some fish change colour through stress or disease)

Worry just enough to notice any change. There should be no problems.
(I like to watch new fish for a week or so before I begin anti bacterial/parasitic treatments, just in case I medicate for the wrong thing first)

just stress, if they are eating fine and everything then dont worry until you see a clearer sign of illness.

Fyi, you dont need to do 50% changes in my opinion if your water quality is good, do what you have to, to keep the water clean.

Okay, thanks heaps everyone! You've all been great help. I'll just keep an eye on them over the next few days :)

Back
Top Bottom