help me anyone! Fish can't swim right

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zimsfish64

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a fish and he can't swim right and looks like he is gasping for air

zimsfish64 said:
I have a fish and he can't swim right and looks like he is gasping for air

Can you share your water parameters? Ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate? Temperature also, and how long have you been running your tank?

:welcome: to AA .. we're happy to help.

Gasping for air is usually a sign of some type of poisoning or low oxygen levels in the tank. You need to do a 50% water change immediately .... don't forget the de-chlorinator.

We need some info so we can help you further.
1. How large and old is the tank?
2. What fish and how many do you have?
3. What type filtration do you have?
4. Is the tank cycled ... What are your water parameters .. ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH and water temp?

See the links below.
Fish Poop and You: A Primer - Aquarium Forum
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

tank temp 78 bio wheel penguin 350 filtration. And whisper 20 air pump and have four fish I have 4 fish 2 of them have been in the tank for one week the other 2 have been in it for two days and I. Just redone the water I will know all the names of my fish later I can take piccsof them if it will help

zimsfish64 said:
tank temp 78 bio wheel penguin 350 filtration. And whisper 20 air pump and have four fish I have 4 fish 2 of them have been in the tank for one week the other 2 have been in it for two days and I. Just redone the water I will know all the names of my fish later I can take piccsof them if it will help

Sounds to me that your tank was not properly cycled, meaning you maybe have high levels of ammonia in the tank. Your best route is to buy a master fresh water kit to measure the quality of your water. And keep doing daily water changes, around 50% each to try to reduce the ammonia and nitrites.

This is just my guess, based on your info. I would encourage you to read a bout the Nitrogen cycle, and how to cycle your tank with fish. You should be able to find that info in these forums.

The fish I needed help with is dead but the others seem fine mabye it was just him

Back
Top Bottom