Help: my fish just got injured!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KongfuCookie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My baby betta jumped out of the tank when I was doing water change, and when I was trying to pick her up, I damaged her fin AND scales. While the damaged fin is visible, her scale damage is probably equally, if not worse, bad - I could see many shiny sparkles left on the table and floor.

Please tell me what I can do to help her healing? She's so traumatized that she hides herself behind the heater...

It all happened one hour ago. I want to do the right thing from the start. Help.

Thanks!

2.5 gallon
Cycled tank
Alone. No other fish.
Temperature 80 degrees
Filter (Azoo): filter media, sponge and activated carbon
Planted. Eco-complete substrate
Prime (every WC)
Stability (when WC > 50%)
Heated (temp control 80 degree)
Air stone.

You could use Stress Coat in the water to help repair the damage and make her less stress.

Thanks! I just did. Can I also use aquarium salt at the same time? I'm so worried about infection...View attachment 226006

Honestly, I've used aquarium salt and it didn't do much, but others has had different results then me. Clean water and Stress coat worked really well for mine :) if your betta happens to get fin rot, use Maracyn Two by Mardel (be sure to remove activated carbon when treating with the Maracyn)! That worked well for my betta when he bit his own tail and caused infection. Just keep the water clean and your betta as stress free as possible. I've heard a diet high in protein helps to repair damages.

If you have plants in your aquarium, you wouldn't be able to add salt even if you wanted to. Her fins might not grow to how great they were before, but since it's a baby I don't know if that would apply in this case.

If you have plants in your aquarium, you wouldn't be able to add salt even if you wanted to. Her fins might not grow to how great they were before, but since it's a baby I don't know if that would apply in this case.

Thank you so much!
I hope she will have her cute little compact fins and tail back... I'm so responsible for her handicapped look right now... ?

Honestly, I've used aquarium salt and it didn't do much, but others has had different results then me. Clean water and Stress coat worked really well for mine :) if your betta happens to get fin rot, use Maracyn Two by Mardel (be sure to remove activated carbon when treating with the Maracyn)! That worked well for my betta when he bit his own tail and caused infection. Just keep the water clean and your betta as stress free as possible. I've heard a diet high in protein helps to repair damages.

That's true. Aquarium salt is going to kill my plants. The plants in that small tank are also babies...

I will continue using Stress Coat. Should I also stop the filter and the air bubbles so she could rest more?

Thank you so much!
I hope she will have her cute little compact fins and tail back... I'm so responsible for her handicapped look right now... ?

No problem :D I've dropped a fish on the floor before too, so I know how you feel ? you're doing everything right, so she'll do fine!

That's true. Aquarium salt is going to kill my plants. The plants in that small tank are also babies...

I will continue using Stress Coat. Should I also stop the filter and the air bubbles so she could rest more?

Is she getting pushed around by the current? And if you took the air stone out, would there still be enough oxygen in the water?

Is she getting pushed around by the current? And if you took the air stone out, would there still be enough oxygen in the water?

The current is very mild. But she likes to play at the filter intake and output area (for some reason, she enjoys the disturbance). I am worried it may slow down her recovery - or am I thinking too much?

Maybe I only use the air bubbles at night when the plants are also breathing?

I don't know... I am not sure... I just want to do the right things...:)

The current is very mild. But she likes to play at the filter intake and output area (for some reason, she enjoys the disturbance). I am worried it may slow down her recovery - or am I thinking too much?

Maybe I only use the air bubbles at night when the plants are also breathing?

I don't know... I am not sure... I just want to do the right things...:)

She should be fine she even enjoys it ?

My female bettas laid into each other really bad when I first started my betta tank, their fins looked very much like your betta's. I just did water changes every other day and used stress coat. They have never gotten fin rot and their fins healed up wonderfully!

45 gal. freshwater and 10 gal. female betta tanks

Since my baby betta injured her tail, she's been quite inactive. Her favorite activity is floating underneath the thermometer... Does anyone know what's going on with her? ?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394485894.929491.jpg

Oh gosh no I don't know. Has she gotten any better after that at all?

Yes she's since become active again. She constantly begs for food and swims around her tank. I'm so happy Seachem's Stress Guard helped. Thanks for asking! ?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394935114.461712.jpg

I think it's growing back. The new one is transparent (I assume tks normal?) and I hope soon it will have the cherry color like the rest of her fin. ?

I think it's growing back. The new one is transparent (I assume tks normal?) and I hope soon it will have the cherry color like the rest of her fin. ?

Yup pretty normal, at least that's what happened when my bettas was growing back (it was a transparent black cause my bettas a dark blue) it will gain some color in a little bit ☺️

Back
Top Bottom