Help! My Plec is furry...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tivaala

Aquarium Advice Activist
I think my plec has Saprolegnia, ive only had him a week but he's over 5 years old and 1and a half feet long. When he came to me he had what looked like a sore on his nose, red and bloody looking like a graze. Now there is a white soft looking patch to the side of it and white over the graze. Tonight there is now another red spot just by his gill on one side and what may be another white patch starting higher up his nose. His belly seems to have a few marks on it but he wont stay still long enough for me to see and i think it may be because he's scratching against the wood and rocks. Every thing i've read about Sap says nothing about flashing tho. And he's only just started it. Pic here. Really appreciate any advice :p

sam1198.jpg

ta for the advice, i'll nip to the local tomorrow. wish my local fish shop was a bit more friendly but they dont really seem to care/know enough to give advice.
water is lovely and clean now, but it wasnt particualy yummy when i got the tank. he seems happy enough at the mo, hes stopped itching, and is being his normal annoying self by trying to swim behind the air pipes, im sure he thinks hes about a quarter of the size he actually is. Hmmn...maybe he is a she...i always think im a different size to what i actually am! :)

good advice from dkpate Melafix and Pimafix
how long as your tank been set up
have you checked your water parimeters lately
ammonia nitrite nitrate ?
seen as the plecs condition as got worse since you've had him
this could be a factor

what size is your tank
width height length
only asking because that fellow is going to need a fair bit of space

thanks all.
right, the tank is 3ft long and just over a foot high.22G. believe me i know he needs more room, there is actually 2 of them in there. im currently trying to rehome them.especially since they fight quite a lot. i was given them along with the tank, we brought the tank home with them in it so we kept some of the old water. which was not nice. im a bit miffed hes gotten a bit worse now hes got nice cleaner water and a better filter but meh, cookie crumbles i guess. amm and nit's are within parameters although i couldnt give you exacts at the mo, the only thing ive done is lowered the temp ever so slightly as it was too high. it hasnt gotten any worse in the last few days but it isnt clearing any with the mel/pimafix either. maybe im impatient. i need to get him healthy before someone will take him.

oh and ive been doing water changes but thats stressing them out. they really get antsy when i steal their water :p they never seem to trust me that il not take that much and i will replace it.

oh just thought id mention not that it matters all that much since these big boys arnt staying but since they are so big and clumsy theres very little else in the tank. i got them a bit of bogwood not that i got so much as a bubble of thanks but meh. point is its pretty much only them, the gravel and some bogwood so they do have a large per cent of that 22G (uk) as water.

Back
Top Bottom