Help needed ASAP with Angelfish Please!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cyberkat

Aquarium Advice Activist
:banghead: First time fish Mom in deep trouble. My Angelfish spawned and have free swimming fry now (as of 10/22). This is my first time with Angelfish fry and I overfed so I'm now having issues.

I moved out all fry to a temporary tank and plan on doing 50% water changes daily with their set up. But the parents need help in their aquarium ASAP!!

Parents are in a 20g tall with a mixture of live & plastic plants and nerite snails. Over last few days a couple leaves on my crypt have died off and today I noticed m little horned nerites looked like they were dying and Momma Angel has 1 cloudy eye!! Water is cloudy. Up until night before last I was scared to do water changes fearing the fry might get eaten. I did a small water change night before last and today I did a 30% water change. When I did the water changes I used Amquel and added bacteria (Stability) and today I also added an additional filter to the tank (one filter has carbon/zeo mixture). I have a monitor for Amonia levels and so far things are good.

Water is still cloudy; female Angelfishs eye looks some what better. Since raising the fry the adults have not been eating hardly at all. I went ahead and fed them today and they ate for the first time in several days. Hopefully this helped for them not to be quite as stressed out. Both are acting more normal since water change. What should I do? I have Melafix, just not sure if I should use due to the water issues but I don't want things to worsen either. HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cyberkat said:
:banghead: First time fish Mom in deep trouble. My Angelfish spawned and have free swimming fry now (as of 10/22). This is my first time with Angelfish fry and I overfed so I'm now having issues.

I moved out all fry to a temporary tank and plan on doing 50% water changes daily with their set up. But the parents need help in their aquarium ASAP!!

Parents are in a 20g tall with a mixture of live & plastic plants and nerite snails. Over last few days a couple leaves on my crypt have died off and today I noticed m little horned nerites looked like they were dying and Momma Angel has 1 cloudy eye!! Water is cloudy. Up until night before last I was scared to do water changes fearing the fry might get eaten. I did a small water change night before last and today I did a 30% water change. When I did the water changes I used Amquel and added bacteria (Stability) and today I also added an additional filter to the tank (one filter has carbon/zeo mixture). I have a monitor for Amonia levels and so far things are good.

Water is still cloudy; female Angelfishs eye looks some what better. Since raising the fry the adults have not been eating hardly at all. I went ahead and fed them today and they ate for the first time in several days. Hopefully this helped for them not to be quite as stressed out. Both are acting more normal since water change. What should I do? I have Melafix, just not sure if I should use due to the water issues but I don't want things to worsen either. HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you know your water parameter numbers?

Other than the Ammonia being 0 I do not know what the other parameters are. Tank has been up & running for about 5 months now.

cyberkat said:
Other than the Ammonia being 0 I do not know what the other parameters are. Tank has been up & running for about 5 months now.

Usually...the full tank parameters are needed to really say what's wrong or at least to begin to find the problem. Maybe your local fish store could test it for you if you don't have a test kit. Be sure they use a liquid test kit tho...the strips are not accurate.

If her eye looks better I would do 250% WC's today day, about 4ish hours apart, and then do daily WC's until everyone gets to looking better. The WC's will help get your tank water back to normal. You can always use the Melafix if doing WC's don't help the Angel. Also feed but lightly, maybe even two meals but with just a touch of food until they regain their health from breeding.

Oh forgot to tell you just let the crypt alone even if it totally melts. It will usually start growing back in a couple/few weeks.

Aquarium is clear today, Momma Angels eye looks a little better. Both are eating what food I give them! Thanks for the info on my crypt, it had been doing so good; hopefully it will recover and be better than before. Thanks for your help Rivercats!

Back
Top Bottom