Help! Snakeskin Gourami (Trichohaster pectoralis) Scratching

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

corster

Aquarium Advice Regular
A wile ago I had Flukes (So I think). I treated with Clout for 6 days. I didn't see any signs of Scratching afterwards. Today I came home to my Snakeskin Gourami missing some scales right above his eye (It's white and 1mm wide and 2mm long [no signs of bleading]). He is going nuts now. Rapidly turning like and speeding off to the other end of the tank. I've seen him scratch twice. I'm trying to get a temp QT tank from my friend (10 gallon). I have 2 other gourami's in the tank. I do notice my barbs scratching on plants sometimes, but not regularly. Should I treat the hole tank or just him? I also noticed him actually "shaking " as if to try and get something off of him (snakeskin Gourami). This is the second time this is happened to me. I seriously think it might be coming from my local pet store. I do have Clout on hand. He also is moving his 2 side finds as if to try to scratch something off.

I do have a very powerful microscope on hand. Can I find out by scraping my fish; if so is it highly stressful and could it kill him?

Can you see any white spots like salt grains? What are your water parameters? What size tank? Have you added anything new to the tank? Smaller tanks are easier to treat cost wise than larger tanks. Some scaleless fish don't like medications. Flashing is definately a sign of some kind of irritant. Usually a parasite. If one fish has a parasite it is likely the whole tank has it. My first suspect is ich usually. If you do suspect ich, raise the temp to 87 and add some aeration or lower the water level a bit.

If you don't think it is ich, can you see any worms on the fish? Have you seen him poo? Is it white and stringy? I can't advise on whether or not to scrape fish but personally I wouldn't do it, I'm sure it would be highly stressful and possibly leave a very vunerable spot.

I personally do not think it is ick. I do not see any signs of ick or worms (visable). I also do think my hole tank might be infested with what ever my fish have. The fish poop is usual color, but I have seen white stringy poop lately, but not for the most part. I am treating with clout (for the second time). My fish are showing signs of stress with this treatment. I have spend a lot of money on live plants so I can't rase the temp that high.

29 Gallon Tall.
Wisper 170
Aquaclear (200gph)
65 watt compact floro
No active carbon in filters
9 barbs
2 sucker fish
1 flying fox
2 gold gouramis
1 snakeskin gourmi
1 catfish
1 dragon gobie

Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:20-40
PH: 7.4-8.4
GH & KH: 250-300

I do every other day water changes 25%. I haven't done a water change sence adding Clout. I have only added plants lately. I really do think it is because of that pet store. After treating with clout I see no more scratching, but one of my barbs looks pretty thrashed.

Have you tried feeding medicated food for internal parasites? Keep up with the water changes and hopefully your barb will improve.

Back
Top Bottom