Help worried fish mom!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I went to the pet store and had them test as well. The 12 year old that worked there didn't have a clue and they were using the same test that I had at home. Ugh. But they did have a different ph meter that said it was 8.2!! So I bought the API quick start and the Ph down, paper he gave me said do 50% use their version of quick start (I bought AP instead) I looked at the water change hose and for cost and the fact I can treat the water in the bucket first I went with just a faucet adapter for the hose. So commenced to 50% got that water perfect. Left with safe readings. Came home to lower than they have been but still not good readings. So back to pet store in morning to but more test stuff as I have obsessed myself right through the last ones. Another water change in morning if I have time to do 50/50 I will or maybe try like a 65-70% WC and prime quick start Ph Down water cocktail.
Salt for some things I've read said it would help regulate and Ease stress of fish. Anything else I should get at pet store? Any other concoction/brand I should try? They all seem to be acting fine tonight put another ammonia clear treatment in tonight. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412484833.473024.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

*buy more tests

The biggest problem is the NitrItes. I would get them down to 0 then add quick start. I don't know if it works or not, I haven't used it. At this point I feel like the issue is to get the NitrIte to pale blue 0 NitrItes.

Is your tap water 8.2 pH after sitting for 24-48 hours? That is high for your Angel. When you start messing with the pH down you have to go slowly and also remember to do your adjustment to the water when you do the pwc. Otherwise that will stress them too.

I've used API quick start a few times and thought it helped. Only rarely have I seen posts with these products causing problems.

I'd skip the salt imo or just add a pinch to protect the fish from nitrite poisoning in the gills.

http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/Nitrite

Salt - 1/15th tsp/10g for 1ppm nitrite. Salt can be used to prevent nitrite poisoning, if the chloride ions are 30 times the concentration of nitrite ions.

Uh I knew I shoulda paid attention in Chemistry!! Anyway woke up did a 60% WC. Went to store bought Stresszyme and the API water test kit instead which says 0 ammonia 0nitrite and 20 nitrate. So for the minute we are stable except for PH being 7.4. Didn't use the salt. We will see what they say when I get home from work. Now I'm wondering if I got and bad test pack and have been reading high because of that. But doesn't explain why my shark was acting weird.

Lol - having to brush up myself.

It does seem a little odd to have the readings shifting around like that but good news on the last set of readings.

Have you tested tap water to get a baseline? I'd test ph of tap water straight away and then test ph again 24hrs later (of tap water that has been sitting in a container to degas) to see if ph changes.

Well tonight we are still at low nitrate, 0 nitrite and 0 ammonia. So we must have been on the same wave length because I did test the tap water 8.4!! what the what? My tank is still at 7.4 which I guess I should be glad I did use ph down in the water I put in after the WC. I guess I'll get some water from both and let them sit. Uhhh why am I doing that again? Lol

Well tonight we are still at low nitrate, 0 nitrite and 0 ammonia. So we must have been on the same wave length because I did test the tap water 8.4!! what the what? My tank is still at 7.4 which I guess I should be glad I did use ph down in the water I put in after the WC. I guess I'll get some water from both and let them sit. Uhhh why am I doing that again? Lol

Didn't know you were gonna need to be a chemist, did you? Me neither, nor do I want to be. Just part of the process though. The fish are worth it!

Glad the number are looking good.

Back
Top Bottom