Hi I'm a new member seeking goldfish advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You know, looking at her now, there are definitely a few spots on her tail...and I do think they look fuzzy

Will try to get a pic on later.

Meds: Furan-2 one treatment regime as per box. (2 pkgs per dose, repeat after 24 hrs, 2 pkgs, 25% WC, repeat for a total of 4 doses)

Salt: 4 rounded TBSP of salt for the 20 gal tank. Adjusted after water changes.

That's all I've done. When the Furan was over, I waited 48 hours then did a 30% WC

Sounds like you are doing a good job treating her so far.

I had ick show up in my tank after adding a few fish from the LFS:facepalm: I did the same 1 tablespoon per 5 gal, and I increased my water temp to 87 degrees. I currently have 4 goldfish mixed in (until it gets warmer outside, then into my friend's garden pond they go!), and they were treated as well. I provided plenty of aeration during this process, left it for about 12 days at that temp and salinity, and everyone survived. I was monitoring the goldfish for signs of stress, but they seemed to adjust well. I took about 2 days increasing the salinity and temp slowly to minimize any shock.

Hopefully your fish will recover well!

Sorry to upload yet another photo, but I'm not sure what to do next. now that there is a white definitely fuzzy growth on her pelvic fin to add to her other problems, I am thinking trying to go the fungal route.

But since I had already given a Melafix/Pimafix treatment before joining the forum, I was wondering if there is something stronger than Pimafix

OR is there an all purpose parasite/fungal treatment out there?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 58
Thank you for reassurance. Woke up to a huge snowstorm, so will have to make do with a good water change for the moment.

Hopefully, she'll be ok waiting.

Thanks, again.

The fungus guard will try to cover both bacterial and fungal.

'Contains two antibiotics as Furan 2 (nitrofurazone & furizolidone) and an anti fungal (potassium dichromate). The fura antibiotics are milder, older meds. The K dichromate is a strong oxidizer.'

Have you added anything to the tank that may have brought in parasites? Even plants? May as well figure out what the trigger was.

Good luck with the snowstorm!

The fungus guard will try to cover both bacterial and fungal.

'Contains two antibiotics as Furan 2 (nitrofurazone & furizolidone) and an anti fungal (potassium dichromate). The fura antibiotics are milder, older meds. The K dichromate is a strong oxidizer.'

Have you added anything to the tank that may have brought in parasites? Even plants? May as well figure out what the trigger was.

Good luck with the snowstorm!
Dela, he/she just finished with a full treatment of Nitrofurazone, that i reccomended. IT did not work. Personally, im a little stumped on this one.
It could be some sort of parasite eating the skin,(skin flukes) in which case "praziquentel" would be needed but,
Acriflavine/malachite green combo is a drug also sold at walmart, and can kill parasites as well as treat minor bacterial and fungal infections, Goldie.
That would be worth looking into.
I think if the furan 2 did not help than maybe we need to dig a little deeper into the fish disease handbook on this one.........
Furan 2 should have cleared up the "fungus" as well as treated the root cause, the bacteria. I see nothing in your tank that the fish could have gotten "wounded" on like i thought maybe before, so maybe it is skin flukes?
Little confused why the furan would not have cleared up that tail.....
Open for suggestions.

OR is there an all purpose parasite/fungal treatment out there?
At walmart they should have or use to have a product called "parasite clear" which has Acriflavine, and victoria green (malachite)
This is for both parasites like ick and velvet, and doubles as an external antiseptic, like killing bacteria/fungus
Methylene blue can be found at a actual "fish" store, and is cheap and could be considered for this, tho you must remove your filter during treatment as it is primarily a stearilizing agent used in science and its effectivness for parasites is limited...but its the best "fungus" (water mould) killer out there.

Good point - will re-read.

Just a quick thought - has the well water been tested lately for heavy metals, nitrates, etc.

Second question is still if parasites could be present, if anything has been introduced recently into the tank.

Thanks so much for helping me out. Don't know what I'd do without this forum!

You know, she's been living a pretty quiet life. No additions, other than a different ornament or plant (not real). They aren't new ones, just cycle through ones in the cupboard to change up the tank every now and then. (Earlier in 2015 when her tank mate of 13 years died -- a little Oto -- I did invest in some zebra danios to keep her company. She ate them!!)

However.... I am on a well....

Perhaps this is the year that there is something different in the water with regards to heavy metals. I never check for anything other than ph, ammonia, and nitrate. But could look into kits to check other parameters.

These are just my thoughts for discussion. I'm not seeing anything parasite related (except a ring structure on the scales in one photo) and if parasites came from the the danios would expect more internal problems. Just not seeing a source?

Our bore water used to change with the seasons. A test for ph on the well water would see if that is the same and unchanged. A lower ph for example might indicate heavy metals could be more mobile in the water. A nitrate check would cover fertilisers if possibly present. If your water conditioner says it detoxifies heavy metals then solved anyways.

I'd be curious on what your readings are for the well and tank water for ph, ammonia and nitrates.

The white could be bacterial or fungal. I'd personally try a med with methylene blue (MB) (or the potassium dichromate) to treat for fungal. I'd use MB if worried about gill damage - think there was red streaks around there?

Fungal last time may also explain the pimafix/melafix working.

Clean that off and can see if the red streaks and/or any lesions are completely gone.

I do wonder on the furan 2 as well Matt for fungal. Maybe hit and miss?

Here we can get a multi-cure with MB, MG and acriflavine in it. That's what my thought would be to try. Did consider a salt bath but I tend to favour that more for parasites. If ich was confirmed (for example), I'd go with salt treatment rather than lifting the temperature to 86F for the ich heat treatment method if the fish isn't used to temperatures like that.

Last edited:
Ya but it's weird that "fungus" which is water mould, does not simply "grow" on fish. There HAS to be a wound or site of infection.

Almost looks like a full blown columnaris infection only it's on a goldfish.....something I rarely have seen or dealt with ....might need a actual good antibiotic I'm still really Iterested what others think, this is a tough one......

I've got a catfish which about every 4 months gets what I have concluded is a bad fungal infection about thumb nail size somewhere on the body. Readily responds to any treatment including pimafix or salt and the infection will be largely removed in say three days after I see it. So I thought it could be bacterial but the speed of healing with any half-dosed basic med, lack of any red marks and that the fish is still feisty has made me think fungal.

This catfish tends to hole up in caves and maybe(?) scrapes some of the slime coat off on entry while the caves are low flow areas and probably pretty grubby.

On healing I generally can't see any scrapes so this is why I've thought it is the slime coat being scrapped off or maybe micro wounds and after that the fungus spreads.

So my feeling has been (if this makes sense) that fungal infections need some entry point but I've always suspected that it can be pretty microscopic and after that it can spread along the fish even if underlying tissue is healthy.

Open to other suggestions though. Just throwing it out for discussion. Not saying this would be all fungal but that I could believe a secondary fungal infection spreading if that may be possible?

I think weve already talked about this on this thread before but im just gonna repeat myself anyways.
There are skin parasites that can cause a fish to flash or have skin damage which will then be invaded by superficial bacteria and mould.
I dont know how long this tank has been set up, but it looks (unfiltered, just the Substrate and an airstone?) and also you mentioned well water, could you possibly get a 5 gallon bucket of regular clorinated tap water and lightly declorinate it when you do vacuming (i hope you do) im concerned it may just be kind of dirty water (maybe the substrate could use a change, like take it out and replace it or wash it off) maybe there is too much feces in the substrate and the nitrates, methane, are causing (this can happen) lots of bioload where even minor abrasions can get infected with bacteria and then mould.........
Just brainstorming........
But if that was the case he furan 2 should have cleared that up. Are you sure you used furan 2 and not regular furan, i believe the "2" has the anti-fungus/mould agent added (potassium dichromite?)
Im rambling on, hopefully someone will figure this out for you because im stumped......

Hi, there. Yes, Matt6805, you had mentioned the skin parasites before and I've kept it in mind. It is looking as if there have been several layers to this problem. Like you said, fungus and mold can be secondary to the main cause.

Goldie's tank has been set up for 3 years and I (deep) vacuum it every weekend, with at least a 30% water change. (usually more) Her tank is in the kitchen so she's fussed over a lot! (But perhaps not enough... ) The tank has a carbon filter along with a bio-wheel. Recently, since medicating so much and taking out the carbon, I've put in a piece of filter floss.

She's still swimming around and eating. No changes there. The white areas remain on her gill covers and I now see little white dots (not raised) inside the skin of her anal and dorsal fins.

Plan: Take out sections of substrate and give a good rinse, give her body a couple of days to recover from last meds (Tetraguard), and then begin the parasite treatment your previous post suggested. I am also going to turn to bottled water to take out that well-water variable.

P.S. There had definitely been a white fuzzy spot on her fin last week that appeared suddenly. (That's why the Tetraguard) The fuzz went overnight but turned to a blood red round mark in its place. That's now healed. It is a mystery WHY fungus would appear AFTER the Furan-2 treatment -- and it was definitely Furan-2 because I did also see the plain Furan on the shelf. However, the box did say a 2nd treatment may be necessay and I didn't do that. So, perhaps it needed it and the Tetraguard finished the job.)

Do they have walmarts in canada?
Try to find the jungle "parasite clear"
It should contain Acriflavine and malachite (victoria) Green

Back
Top Bottom