ICH!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yea, I usually let the water run into a cup with a thermometer so I can gauge the temp before refilling.

I actually noticed that my temp went up overnight last night 85.9 -> 86.9. I also noticed all of my kuhlis were laying on the suction cups on the back of my heaters. That was odd, I'm thinking they're trying to stay closer to the filter for the current like the other fish.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ah. Yea, one of the rainbows has quite a few. But mostly there's just a few either on the fins or body.

Sorry, should of expanded. The really bad cases are really heavily dotted & laboured gill movements (probably from being infested and excess mucus being produced).

Here's the worst one, one of my keyholes.
1435190175023.jpg
1435190230575.jpg
1435190284057.jpg

And then one of my rainbows is pretty well covered too.

And then this is what my kuhlis have been doing.
1435190366444.jpg

I don't really see anything on them tho.

To me it's bad but not horrific. When they start getting excess slime coat and mucus looks like it is shedding off scales they are in (more) trouble (if that makes sense).

I've had small tetras and rasboras looking like they have been peppered with salt and came out ok.

The one keyhole looks a little like it's shedding its skin. Just it's belly. But it's swimming around like normal. They're slowly starting to eat again. Not a lot. But it's something

The one keyhole looks a little like it's shedding its skin. Just it's belly. But it's swimming around like normal. They're slowly starting to eat again. Not a lot. But it's something

Sounds like a good sign to me

I woke up this morning to a dead rainbow and 2 missing rainbows. I just got home from work to 2 more dead rainbows and 1 still missing. Everyone else looks clear of ich except one of my keyholes. Its completely covered in it and won't come off the floor of the tank. I'm afraid I'm gonna be pulling him out of there in the morning ?

I woke up this morning to a dead rainbow and 2 missing rainbows. I just got home from work to 2 more dead rainbows and 1 still missing. Everyone else looks clear of ich except one of my keyholes. Its completely covered in it and won't come off the floor of the tank. I'm afraid I'm gonna be pulling him out of there in the morning ��

I do feel really bad hearing this as ich is a very easy disease to cure(without all the confusion and HERESAY!).
It is not too late to do a massive waterchange and add meds.
Kordon rid ich plus!
Readily available at any pet whatever and PROVEN to work with even tough strains.
I don't personally think you even have a tough strain I think you have been led in the wrong direction for the experience you have with aquariums.
Sorry your treatment strategy is not working,Good Luck.

I do feel really bad hearing this as ich is a very easy disease to cure(without all the confusion and HERESAY!).
It is not too late to do a massive waterchange and add meds.
Kordon rid ich plus!
Readily available at any pet whatever and PROVEN to work with even tough strains.
I don't personally think you even have a tough strain I think you have been led in the wrong direction for the experience you have with aquariums.
Sorry your treatment strategy is not working,Good Luck.

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. I've just re-read the thread and I don't think there has been bad advice. Each poster has offered their experience on methods that will work and worked for them. I didn't see any methods here listed that won't work.

I NEVER SAID BAD ADVICE!
I said lead in the wrong direction for experience level.
Meds would have been quicker,easier and more effective and I don't think that is debatable as the ops fish are NOT recovering using the chosen strategy?
Is the op not doing it correctly?

I turned all 3 of my bubblers up as much as I could and dropped the water level so my filters splash pretty well.

And I don't believe that medication at this point would do anything that the heat can't do. Other than the one fish, all the others are either completely cleared up or pretty close to it and they're all eating again. No one has offered up a bad opinion. It's working, no one said there wouldn't be casualties. It happens.

Medication would only put what I could possibly stock in the future at risk. Not worth it with the progress the tank has made.

I woke up this morning to a dead rainbow and 2 missing rainbows. I just got home from work to 2 more dead rainbows and 1 still missing. Everyone else looks clear of ich except one of my keyholes. Its completely covered in it and won't come off the floor of the tank. I'm afraid I'm gonna be pulling him out of there in the morning ?

Do you have a QT?

As only the keyhole is badly infected you could shift to there. Less chance of re infecting other fish and quieter for the keyhole.

I'm a bit flat out but your options come down to staying with heat or as CB pointed out there are meds options. I wouldn't go with meds in DT if all is looking good there - you might just bump off the loaches. A QT gives options.

I NEVER SAID BAD ADVICE!
I said lead in the wrong direction for experience level.
Meds would have been quicker,easier and more effective and I don't think that is debatable as the ops fish are NOT recovering using the chosen strategy?
Is the op not doing it correctly?

Sorry, pre-coffee here.

Will re-read again. Implementation seems fine. Good question for OP.

Well I guess I'll apologize again!
I thought ;one dead,2 missing,2 more dead and one still missing and the keyhole looking not good didn't imply success?
Congrats on beating ich???

I turned all 3 of my bubblers up as much as I could and dropped the water level so my filters splash pretty well.

And I don't believe that medication at this point would do anything that the heat can't do. Other than the one fish, all the others are either completely cleared up or pretty close to it and they're all eating again. No one has offered up a bad opinion. It's working, no one said there wouldn't be casualties. It happens.

Medication would only put what I could possibly stock in the future at risk. Not worth it with the progress the tank has made.

Would go with QT then. Continue heat treatment in DT.

Then decide if keyhole is basically lost without swapping treatments. Swapping treatments carries its own risk so need to decide.

In QT, I'd be looking at either continuing heat treatment or if I think the heat treatment is too slow, looking into killing the ich as quickly as possible (ie on the fish) while trying to preserve fish.

I thought ;one dead,2 missing,2 more dead and one still missing and the keyhole looking not good didn't imply success?

If we can save that fish :)

Thoughts on QT idea?? I know ich is treat whole tank but really tempted to shift that fish anyways to get it out of the DT.

Success is not losing all of my stock. I could have gone with meds and lost 5 kuhlis. What would have said then? "you win some, you lose some?"

Just because I didn't go your route doesn't mean I've gone the wrong route. And you know you can unfollow my post too. Unless you'd just rather continue to criticize people who don't do what you say.

I'm good with my decision. I'm sorry I couldn't make you happy

I don't currently have a QT and don't have the filter or anything prepared to get one going in time.

Separate - I did get a post back that triple sulpha will work on ich but it is very slow.

So if I was trying to treat one badly infected fish in QT, triple sulpha would be out. Too slow.

Options:
Copper - never used. Would be top of list to look at.

MG/formalin - effective but from memory doesn't kill ich on fish?

Heat - works but slow.

Salt - would also be top of list to look into. Perhaps a dip. That might also clear any mucus off gills?

Back
Top Bottom