Ich?? But no spots?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks, it's nice to hear from someone, it's stressful having sick fish!! Lol, will see how it goes and keep reading as much as I can to find out what's going on.

Could you post your current water parameters? After reading your post it doesn't sound like ick to me. Looks like hole in the head in you pic. Flashing is from anything that makes your fish uncomfortable.

Sorry the forum is pretty quiet today.

Poor little fella. I have no experience with H-I-H disease, just read about it while diagnosing other issues.

Tropical fish have pretty different needs than goldfish so I won't offer any advice. Do research and take action but only necessary medications as treating for the wrong ailment will only further stress your fish.

Isolate the fish into a quarantine tank(search or look for stickies about them) and sometimes the best thing to do is very little. Lots I fresh clean water and not much commotion otherwise.

Good luck!! Edit: also if Ich is off the table After you research then perhaps the water temp Gould go back to the normal Goldie range.

Oops sorry your fish isn't a Goldie, my bad! I missed that they are platties. Well the warm water isn't as big a deal as it would have been if they were goldfish, so ignore that part!

Could you post your current water parameters? After reading your post it doesn't sound like ick to me. Looks like hole in the head in you pic. Flashing is from anything that makes your fish uncomfortable.

Water is 0 for Amonia, nitrites and nitrates, PH 7, 40% water change everyday at the moment! Is hole jn the head contagious? I don't have any other tank for quarantine.....I thought if I had to medicate I would have to do both fish anyway?? Thanks

Never had hole in head experience, but I'd treat ut quickly. If it Ich, from experience I say add salt( read instructions on the special treatment salt at your lfs) preferably API brand aquarium salt then Ich treatment. I sadly went through 7 fish due to Ich once but cured eighth, in treatment. Never noticed a spot, fish flashed minimally and then I looked and they were dead. My last 3. We're covere in spots, I could hardly see their skin, and it gills got a bit inflamed, I could see some there(yuck). That was more than a year ago. If its Ich, you should make it, but not quite sure how hih will affect it. Or how to treat it. Sorry :(

The picture does look like it isn't Ich, sorry. Good luck to you and your platies!

Glad to have any input, thanks. Always helpful to hear about others experiences. She not looking great today, should I consider euthanising at some point or is it treatable?? Never done this ever!! :-(

I would treat the whole tank with API general cure. And if you haven't already I would turn the heat back down to normal. Great job on water changes. Don't throw in the towel yet that's why they make medicine.

Yeah keep trying, my fish spent a month at least getting over parasitrs

Will go to pet shop today and look for the general cure stuff......will it effect my BB and do I need to do anything with my filter cartridges?? Have read something about the carbon pulling the medicine out of the tank but I don't have separate carbon in my filter, it could be inside the cartridge though?? The wound is looking less White now...other fish looks great?! Weird cause she had started to flash too but seems fine now? Is Hole in the head contagious? I will treat tank, just wondered. Many thanks to all of the help so far!

It won't affect BB. Is your carbon brand new? If its more than a week old its probably not affective anymore. Personally I don't use carbon at all and I fill my filters with foam and ceramic pieces only.

It won't affect BB. Is your carbon brand new? If its more than a week old its probably not affective anymore. Personally I don't use carbon at all and I fill my filters with foam and ceramic pieces only.

Thanks, I have enclosed filter media..comes in a cartridge?? Says it has 'carbon with ceramitek' has been in tank for 7 weeks so not new and probably not active by the sound of things....this is what it looks like (if it helps)..

image-4251928885.jpg

Think I'm treating a parasite type wound on platty...possibly hole in head but is looking better... Just doing daily water change at present and gradually lowering temp (was raised as first thought it was ICH) ??? A bit lost really :-/ can u use the general cure meds as well as salt for healing??

Yes you can keep using salt. Good to see its getting better with water changes. Healthy water is the most important thing. I wouldn't worry about the carbon it's old.

Back
Top Bottom