Ich Heat treatment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok, would 88 be safer than 86 then? More room before it is to cold???

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Heat is 88. I think ~5 of the neons still have spots. Heat seems like it is working :)

I only saw 1 neon with 1 spot yesterday.

Should I drop the heat 2 weeks after I added the second heater or 2 weeks from when I raised the tank temp?

2 weeks after the temp went aboe 86.

55 Gallon- Empty
125 Gallon- CKF and Tiger Oscar
220 Gallon- To come...

Sorry to interject guys...I see a lot of discussion on raising the heat and none on medicating.
Are you also treating the ich alongside of the temp raise? I was under the impression that the heat treatment speeds up the life cycle but won't kill ich unless there is an absence of a host (empty tank)
Please correct me if I'm wrong

Sorry to interject guys...I see a lot of discussion on raising the heat and none on medicating.
Are you also treating the ich alongside of the temp raise? I was under the impression that the heat treatment speeds up the life cycle but won't kill ich unless there is an absence of a host (empty tank)
Please correct me if I'm wrong

Raising the temp IS the treatment. It disrupts the life cycle of the parasite, causing it to die off. It's really as simple as that to treat ich, the vast majority of the time.

Guess I got some bad info. I cranked the heat and medicated so I guess I'm doing double duty!

It's often recommended to raise the temp with meds, to speed things up like you had mentioned. But only to the low 80s. High 80s and meds is more stressful than it needs to be.

Just checked tank and found no spots :), 2 pond snails :(, no shrimp (think heat killed them), and one weird neon. He is not eating, but is drifting in the current, and swims away from the filter output.

Attachments

• 1417654392914.jpg
    1417654392914.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 38
  • 1417654413893.jpg
    1417654413893.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 43
  • 1417654439064.jpg
    1417654439064.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 46
Back