ICH - or something else - please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

greenorchid

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am treating for Ich and i'm on day 2 - i'm suppose to add more powder tonight.

As soon as I added the first dose 2 days ago they both perked up and were doing much better - after I added the large air stone they seemed to be doing great!

Now my XL chocolate oranda is showing large salt like attachments to his crown. One looks a little worm like but i don't think it's an actual worm - I will keep watching.

When I started treating them they just had very soft dots all over their tails --- now I have 3 large salt pieces on his head......?

Could they have Velvet also? or another parasite?

Can you please post your parameters along with a picture? If the white spots are on the wen (headgrowth), this is likely just normal wen growth. White 'pimples' will develop during periods of growth. There may even be a thread/string sticking out from the 'pimple'. Perfectly normal! Keep your parameters pristine and feed a nutritious diet and things will be fine!. :)

Wow! thank you so so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thanks: why hasn't anyone told me this!!! i've asked so many people.

If you have a website you'd recommend with oranda info and fantail info - please post - thanks again! Wow these pet stores I talk to don't know squat!

Thanks again!!!!

I sounds exactly as you described - white pimples on wen and one has like a tiny string hanging off. I will try to get a pic - my test kit did not arrive in the mail yet - but i take a water sample to the pet store every day and my ammonia is zero and other stuff is normal.

thanks again!!!

THANK YOU- Again!!!

I just looked up pictures of wen head growth - it looks exactly like that - thank you so so much!!!!! No one at the pet store knew anything about that!!!!!! thanks so much!

I also just read about Hikari Oranda Gold headgrowth enhancer - should i be giving this? Is this beneficial? and I also read earlier that shelled peas, broccoli and romaine lettuce and oranges are good to give - is this all true?

Thanks*

Glad to help! Just make sure you are keeping your water pristine- do not let the store tell you it's 'safe' or 'ok'. Theory has it that wen goldfish actually have a very low grade infection during wen growth spurts so keeping conditions as ideal as possible is necessary but wen growth is normal and nothing to be concerned about!

Hikari has great lines of specialty goldfish foods. The oranda formula is floating pellet and I actually use this pellet for my pond fish (in addition to other foods). I would try the Lionhead or Saki formulas. I actually use the Lionhead formula as my staple food for almost all of my fish and none of them are lionheads.

Yes, plain cooked veggies, most fruits and fresh proteins are great for everyone. Fruits should not be fed daily though due to their high sugar content. Veggies daily are a good idea if you do not have other plant matter available for your guys to eat. If you need more fruit or veggie ideas, just ask! :)

I definitely need any and all ideas - ha..... I tried cooked shelled peas last night - they didn't even go after them.... or they would just look at them sink to the bottom and not bother - i read somewhere there's something that hangs in tank that you can put veggies and fruits in and they can just nip at it .... do you use this and what is it called? should i try lettuce today? what are your fish's favorites?

Also - am i using too much current? I have a 55 gallon tank with a 70(gallon)aquaclear filter. I ordered another 70aquaclear for the other side of the tank for extra filtration and I have a long air stone - the entire surface of my tank is in movement and when I feed them the food kind of goes everywhere. Thurston (XL chocolate oranda) tends to try to eat the bubbles at the surface constantly - thinking its food

What is the ideal aquarium set up for goldfish in a 55 gallon? and how many can I have in this tank?

Also,,,

How often and how much do i feed daily? and what? what is your weekly routine? I currently have just 2 goldfish in my 55 gallon. I got them on Jan 1st - Just the one XL chocolate oranda and the medium red fantail. I hope to get more after my tank is established and I get the hang of things.

How often and how much do i feed daily? and what? what is your weekly routine? I currently have just 2 goldfish in my 55 gallon. I got them on Jan 1st - Just the one XL chocolate oranda and the medium red fantail. I hope to get more after my tank is established and I get the hang of things.

Goldie's handle small, more frequent meals much more efficiently than one or two large meals as they are grazers by design (lack a 'true' stomach to store food). Obviously, not everyone can manage this type of routine though due to work, family and/or life in general so it's more of manage the best you can! An option is to leave veggies either overnight or during the day (or both) for goldfish to snack on.

Amounts of food to feed is a bit more tricky. If you want to be precise, weigh your fish and approximate their food based on weight and needs. Fry, growing juveniles or fish being conditioned for breeding will need upwards of 3-5% of their body weight while an adult may only need 1-2%. Beautiful tail growth and development is part of this- a great diet along with healthy environment are major factors (along with good genetics). I will post link with some more info on feeding for you when I am back on my computer! :)

theres no way i can weigh them and I honestly have no idea what goldfish weigh approximately be looking at them....:ermm:

how does that equal to amount of pellets? or flakes? each feeding...

Do pellets give floaty?

I just ordered Hikari purple bag pellets, Hikari lionhead, bloodworms, plankton, and repashy gel food soilent green

I read a mixture of food was key, so I figured I'd mix it up. I know it's hard for you to tell without seeing them but roughly whats a good amount each feeding?

BTW - Ich treatment is over, I did a 25% water change and put the carbon back in my filter so the water has cleared up. They seem really happy* :fish1: Thurston still has his Wen growth spots, he lost one and got another one on the other side and Ginger has black burn marks on her tail but both seem happy and swimming around. I lowered temp to 72 - what's a good temp to stay at. Thanks*

and thank you again* - I'm so sorry to bother you with all these questions! but I'm very grateful for all your help and advice!

I did a 25% water change at 5:30 pm yesterday and at 10:30 I got this....

PH - 7.6

Do I have to take High Range PH?

Ammonia - .5 it was 0 but after I let it sit it went up.

Nitrite - 0

Nitrate - 10

I did a 25% water change at 5:30 pm yesterday and at 10:30 I got this....

PH - 7.6

Do I have to take High Range PH?

Ammonia - .5 it was 0 but after I let it sit it went up.

Nitrite - 0

Nitrate - 10

Yes, you should test with the high range test and see what it shows. How long did you allow the ammonia test to sit? Did it turn green at the 5min mark?

the High PH - was about a 7.8 / 8.0 and the Ammonia was .5 or 1.0

I did a 50% water change about an hour ago and Im going to retest in a few.

Back
Top Bottom