Ich treatment question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HopefulHobbiest

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Bottle says to remove carbon during treatment.

I have a filter with the fabric pouch looking things which I'm assuming the black stuff in it is the carbon. Do I really have to cut apart my filter media?

What type of filter do you have? Idk what your explaining have you got a pic? If it carbon you do have to remove it because it removes the medication.

Bottle says to remove carbon during treatment.

I have a filter with the fabric pouch looking things which I'm assuming the black stuff in it is the carbon. Do I really have to cut apart my filter media?

This is a reason why more experienced members prefer NOT to use meds when treating ich. Carbon can remove meds from the water, defeating the purpose of dosing, plus some meds could kill your BB.

I recommend you treat with heat ... Raise the temp to 86-88F, about 1F degree per hour, increase aeration, gravel vacs and PWC's. It'll take about 1 week, it should completely eradicate ich ... But keep the temp up for a week after the last sign of ich... To be sure... Total time about 2weeks.

It'll look worst ... Around day 3... Before it gets better.

+1 for treating with heat, it's normally best to leave meds as a last resort. Only thing I use is salt treatment when they get hurt.

Yea lol the ich treatments do seem to work but they have a lot of negative side effects :(

Haha... I guess I have an extra bottle of rid Ich that's gonna sit on the shelf till I can return it...

Yep.. I'd say that's $$$ you should get back.

BTW ... Carbon is also something the more experienced members don't use in
Their filters. Carbon stops being a viable chemical filter after a few weeks or so after you've dealt with the ich... Remove the carbon from the cartridge and stuff it with 100% polyfill. It'll help collect micro debris which will help polish your water.

HopefulHobbiest said:
Should I be doing daily water changes or every other day?

I did daily PWC's with gravel vacs ... When it comes to treating illnesses, clean water's a must.

Back
Top Bottom