Ick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lifeoffroad

Aquarium Advice FINatic
If my water conditions are perfect, how did my two clown loaches get Ick? I know they are more prone to it as a species but it's great living conditions. I swear I'm getting a UV sterilizer next. Ugh!!

Something may have happened that you didn't catch. Did you do a big water change or anything that could have changed the water temp., pH, etc. too fast and stressed the fish? There are numerous things that can stress a fish and if the species is already suceptible then you have to be especially careful. Hope they recover fast.

adadkins1 said:
Something may have happened that you didn't catch. Did you do a big water change or anything that could have changed the water temp., pH, etc. too fast and stressed the fish? There are numerous things that can stress a fish and if the species is already suceptible then you have to be especially careful. Hope they recover fast.

That's the only think I can think of. Typically my pH is pretty consistent even with water changes. Temp wise it usually only changes like a degree or two. I did add some new fish but only 2 dwarf red guroumis (spelling?). That's shouldn't have stressed them. They are supper kind fish. The only other thing I can think of is they had it when I bought them or one did and gave it to the other. Thanks for the reply.

How long have you had them? If you just bought them, they may have already had ich. Any type of stress can invite ich.

GrimmGoby said:
How long have you had them? If you just bought them, they may have already had ich. Any type of stress can invite ich.

Had them about 3 weeks. When I first got them home I thought one had a little white spot but they move around so much it was hard to tell. Then I saw no rubbing so just thought it would be nothing if it was a white spot.

So I just had a conversation with the fish expert at the lfs and he really is an expert it isn't Petco or anything. He said the introduction of the new fish I got and I added new plants that day as well, is likely the cause. He said to just watch them whenever I add new plants or fish.

So I just had a conversation with the fish expert at the lfs and he really is an expert it isn't Petco or anything. He said the introduction of the new fish I got and I added new plants that day as well, is likely the cause. He said to just watch them whenever I add new plants or fish.

It's always a good idea to QT new fish unless you know the LFS well and they QT all new stock before offering it for sale. Same goes for plants (QT them), I got a case of ick from a plant I didn't QT.

AP's Quick Cure is the best way to get rid of ick IMO/E.

Mr. Limpet said:
It's always a good idea to QT new fish unless you know the LFS well and they QT all new stock before offering it for sale. Same goes for plants (QT them), I got a case of ick from a plant I didn't QT.

I think thats what I got. I'm hopeful it won't take to long. LFS added that I should turn up the heat to 86. Today it is at 78. What do you think about that instruction? By the way, forgive me if this is a stupid question, but whats QT? Quietly Touch? :p

QT is quarantine. Keeping them away from the other fish until you make sure they are not sick before adding them to your tank. Be careful using chemicals to instead of salt/heat to treat ich with loaches. They are sensitive to chemicals. I would def still turn the heat up though, and I agree that adding new fish and plants is what carried in the ich. Good luck with getting them all better. :)

Mr. Limpet said:

I got quick cure and just realized after adding the first dose that you should not use on invertebrates. I have 2 Algae shrimp. You think they are going to live through this?

I got quick cure and just realized after adding the first dose that you should not use on invertebrates. I have 2 Algae shrimp. You think they are going to live through this?

Inverts, baby whales and elephant nose, are a no-no lol. Pull them out and put them in a container of cured water ASAP is what I'd do. AES are pretty hardy, so they may be OK.

So treatment is complete. Everyone is ich free and my shrimp survived the ordeal. Yay!!! Thanks everyone for the help.

Back
Top Bottom