icky betta tail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Menagerie

Aquarium Advice Addict
I don't mean ICHy--the tail is icky!! It's all curled up on itself and looks gross. I tried to take some pics--sorry, he wasn't cooperating this evening.

Okay, okay~~Get off my case!!

1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the beset of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).
Betta. See for yourself--the tail is icky!
2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.
Undectable ammonia, nitrite, nitrate. 82F, pH=7.5
3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?
5 gal :? Since at least Sept 18 ( http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=32510&start=0 ).
4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.
Sponge filter. The sponge had previously been in an established tank, PWC every week.
5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are there current sizes?
A betta and 3 khuli loaches (3" each)
6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
The other day, 50%, bottom of tank was vacuumed.
7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?
Since Sept 18.
8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?
No.

Please help!

you know what? that is very weird. My bettas tail and dorsal fin looks like some one pinched them in only one spot so they are crinkled... is the best way to describe it. Almost broken looking. I have never seen anything like it. Its strange. Hope you figure out what is wrong with your fishy.

The doctor is in :wink:

(by the way, I need to see your referral!) :lol:

Sometimes finrot has an easy cause to pinpoint, and sometimes it doesn't. My first thought is that something stressd him.

How is he getting along with the loaches? If they are bottom dwellers, he probably just ignores them. Does he happen to be fighting with them for food? My betta worked himself into a tizzy when I dropped a wafer in for the ghost shrimp (that is no longer with us).

What is the current like from the sponge filter? The top of my tank barely ripples. Once, my betta played in the bubbles and ripped his tail.

Also in my experience, temperature fluctuations are very stressful for bettas, and quite often cause finrot. Is there a thermometer in the tank that you check every day? I would guess the temp is ok, since you don't say that the loaches are affected.

I think IME that a 50% change is a lot for a betta. The loaches may be fine with it, but sometimes bettas don't seem to be.

The parameters are perfect for a betta. Since the parameters are fine, I think we can rule out a disease for now. I don't think I see any black edges to the tail, which would be a sign of disease also. I'm wondering if he just injured it, either playing in the bubbles or maybe snagged it on something. Is there anything that could be sharp (to a betta) in the tank?

When my bettas have injured their tails on something, the tail healed up nicely. Besides the one betta playing in the sponge filter, the other betta often rests on the gravel, despite his java moss bed. He often has a few small whitish nicks on his anal fin, but they never progress to anything more, I guess, because the tank parameters are all good and he isn't stressed. If your betta just tore it on something, keep your parameters where they should be and the betta should heal right up. But if you see black edges or the tail starts to look like individual strings and then "falls off", then medicine is probably needed. Kanacyn, BettaMax, Jungle Fungus Eliminator (it also has an antibiotic in it), or Maracyn 2 would be my choices for treatment.

Menagerie said:
Okay, okay~~Get off my case!!

Please help!

Ok Menagerie... I have no idea on whats wrong with your fishs tail... but I must say, when you talk to yourself on here it really throws me. :lol: .. I thought someone was getting really rude with you... then had to scroll back up, just to see that it was only you... :wink:

although.... when my kids chew bubble gum, and they get it in their hair... it kinda looks like that... has your Betta been chewing gum again??? :p

The current was kind of high--new airpump! I switched it out earlier today when I noticed my poor betta. Other than that, there is a silk plant and a not-so-healthy looking java moss.
The betta gets betta bites or whatever frozen foods everyone else is eating and I have never seen him bother with the loaches. I would take them out, but they are so hard to catch!! Once they are in my 50 gal, they will stay there.
I should add (about the water changes), the replacement water is from the 50 gal and no fish are experiencing problems in that tank (water parameters are wonderful).
There is a good heater in the tank and the temp always looks fine.

High currents and fluctuating temps are the first things I think of when trying to pinpoint betta stress. Gang valves work great at reducing the airflow to the sponge filter.

I would also think that the water changes and the temperature can be ruled out as stress-causing factors now.

Gang valves work great at reducing the airflow to the sponge filter.
Gang valves--maybe Trevor knows about those. I only buy fish (and sometimes tanks--when he's not looking).

Here's a pic of my gang valve, airpump, and check valve that I posted in another post. I really should get stuff like this in my gallery!

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/download.php?id=8372

It may not look like two airlines are coming from the gang valve, but there are. The one airline comes out of the pump, into the gang valve, and then two airlines (one for each betta tank) go out to each sponge filter. The third valve is empty, but I opened it a little for extra air to bleed out, lessening the flow and current of the sponge filters. To use a gang valve to reduce current, get one with at least one more valve than you need, so you can open the extra valve to let excess air out.

Back
Top Bottom