Identifying the cause of fish deaths.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blucat

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ive had 2 fish die recently. First a jubevile sparkling gourami and just then 1 black neon tetra. Sorry if this is a bit long but ill be very detailed.

Both seemed healthy and there are no signs of any disease in my tank. Ammonia is 0, and the nitrates are 25mg/L. Also the behaviour of both fishes seemed normal.

t3/4 days ago I found the gourami dead in the corner of the tank on the substrate. Topnight the black neon tetra had been eating greedily like normal when I fed it half an hour ago. When i checked 15 mins later, it was dead in the smae spot as the passed gourami.

Prior tank observations:
About a week ago I introduced the 3 (one inch big) sparkling gouramis. two of them became increasingly confident and soon took to swimming in the front of the tank. The smallest gourami seemed to be chase by the other two. This is the one that died. When I saw it my dwarf loaches were checking it out
After this i noticed the two remaing gouramis occasionaly chasing the tetras (glolight and black neon) and the rainbowfish, even tho the rainbowfish are much bigger than them. i found the black neon dead and noticed a couple patches without colouratin on its body. Maybe these areas are patches where the scales are gone? I didnt notice these patches there during the day and i didnt notice them when I watched them eat.

Do you think the gouramis have killed my fish? Or something else?
thanks for taking the time to read this.

Sorry, here is the rest of the inhabitants

2 sparkling gourami (1 died)
4 glolight tetras
4 black neon tetras (1 died)
4 Dwarf/chained/monkey Loach
4 Dwarn Neon rainbowfish
1 BN pleco

Are these all in the 24 gal in your profile? It would appear that both fish were the victims of aggression considering the description you provided (ie: Everything was fine until the gourami's were added, you observed some aggression, etc).

You will need to keep a close eye on these two, it seems to me they are indeed the culprits.

Jchillin sounds about right. If by some chance it's not aggression, I've heard on these forums many times that neon tetras aren't teh most hardy fish.

But hey... I'm a newbie. What do I know?

Yeh they are in the 24gal. I had a feeling it was those two tiny sparkling gourami but I just needed it confirmed. Lol, they can pack a whole lot of punch for a 1 inch fish!

Back
Top Bottom