In a big mess!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishyDog

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I'm having a problem with my fish and ammonia! This is going to be really long, sorry. I wasn't sure if I should post this in new or disease! I was about to post it in disease but sent it to the wrong forum, oops! But with the information I've got, I feel pretty new to the whole thing really ! If this is the wrong place then feel free to move it and I apologise !

So, two years ago my family took on fish from my step-dad who passed away suddenly. We upgraded his tank as I realised it was too small, and now have a 97 litre (21 gallon) tank for a black moor and a goldfish. I've kept on top of the levels as much as I can, doing lots of research and trying to give the fish the best life I could give. As you've probably already gathered, when we got the tank we didn't go a cycle because we simply had no idea it existed.

My fish aren't looking very well, they've both been gasping lots and showing symptoms that I knew were ammonia but made no sense because I'd been taking test results and it said 0.What I didn't realise was that nitrite and ammonia were different things! I thought they were the same thing with different names because everyone talks about how they both have to be at 0, both can cause the same symptoms and both can be deadly. So yeah, when I realized it was different I felt thick and got a test as soon as possible.. it turned out to be 6,

I was horrified!! It did make more sense with the symptoms my fish had though. The symptoms were: gasping, sitting at the bottom of the tank sometimes (but I always did a water change when that happened and it helped), lethargy before I got a water stone and my goldfish has red spots and patches on it that only now do I realize is ammonia burning! I feel terrible but had no idea it was that. I thought it was odd and has worried but I hadn't read anything on symptoms of ammonia poisoning and thought maybe it was just his pattern?

Aargh that sounds silly when I say it now. It could possibly be from when my step-dad had the fish (he had no idea of the cycle at all) but I'm thinking the spots would go after the cycle set in and ammonia goes down? Tell me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, so I've been doing water changes every day and it's down to one - half now. They're looking better, no sitting on the floor, not as much gasping and no new spots. But my black fish is also worrying. He is not enthusiastic about food, blind (but I think that's the breed?) and gets ill very fast due to an injury and his breed. When I try to treat him for things and take the carbon filter bits out, he goes to the floor and when I put it back in he goes up again. He used to have ich and I just couldn't get rid of it. Nothing was working,

I tried salt, medicine with the filter still in (I heard carbon die after 3 weeks) but didn't work. He's also going upside down a lot which isn't a symptom of ammonia poisoning as far as I'm aware!
The filter has sponge, bio-media filter and a fluffy filter type thing. The internet tells me it's a Interpret Internal Cartridge Filter – CF1. I do use test strips which I realized yesterday aren't accurate. As soon as I have money (they're 30 pounds here and most places won't allow me to work because I'm not 16)

I will buy one ! So please take all of these readings with a pinch of salt. The last time I checked, the ammonia is 1 / 0.5. Nitrite was 1, nitrate was 80. I cleaned the water in the tank today 20%, vacuumed the gravel about a week ago. I have a live plant, driftwood, wood that isn't driftwood and a fish hid s under a stone.

I did add ammonia reducer yesterday (turns ammonia to nitrite and then nitrate) but I read online that wasn't good so I haven't added it today. I have one goldfish and one black moor. No animals besides that.
Please help! Seeing my fishes suffering is upsetting and I'd like to get them well as soon as possible.. I will be re homing when they're all happy and well because I don't have the supplies or money to look after fishes regularly, realize I'm better at mammals and also get very stressed when look after them! I don't want another fish to suffer because of my ignorance so I'm either going to not look after fish anymore or do a LOT of research before adopting when I'm older.

Anyway, thanks for reading !! Sorry this was such a mass amount of information

Attachments

• WIN_20180408_22_47_36_Pro (3).jpg
    WIN_20180408_22_47_36_Pro (3).jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 44
  • WIN_20180408_22_47_35_Pro (2).jpg
    WIN_20180408_22_47_35_Pro (2).jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 81
Last edited by a moderator:
Basically the only thing you can do is water change water change water change to keep the levels low.

Use Seachem Prime for a water conditioner, and use it at the ammonia detox rate (should say on the bottle). This will detoxify ammonia for 48?? hours.

20 gallons is really too small for goldfish, they are really "messy" producing a lot of ammonia, so either lots and lots of filtration or lots and lots of water changes using Prime will be the best bet.

Alright, thank you, I will try that product! Ah, I had a suspicion that it might be too small but I wasn't sure. I'll keep on top of the water changes, would you say one a day or two? Thank you for the advice !

Alright, thank you, I will try that product! Ah, I had a suspicion that it might be too small but I wasn't sure. I'll keep on top of the water changes, would you say one a day or two? Thank you for the advice !

One a day should be okay, 50% or larger should be good.

if ammonia is at 1.0ppm a 50% water change will reduce the ammonia to 0.50ppm (50%).

Hi FishyDog. Welcome to the community.

First off, side note about working, try and get odd jobs with respectable people with your parental permission, baby sitting, washing dishes, shoveling snow/raking leaves, pulling weeds, sweeping driveways and porches, picking up dog poo, folding laundry, cleaning things etc. Brainstorm with family about what you might do to add some coin to your pocket if this is falling on your pocketbook, there are ideas from internet for youth to earn extra money.

okay. Lots to read up on.

Water changes are great, keep it up.

The next few are links for you to read up on.

Here is the overview and even though you may already know some of this it is nice to read through an easy to follow review

Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

This is the basic visual on the goldfish just keep it in mind. You already know there is room for improvement for your adopted fish.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...uire-big-tanks-visual-perspective-265871.html

These articles were linked in the Guide article you were linked to above
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

Fish-in Cycling: Step over into the dark side - Aquarium Advice

Prime water conditioner will help you.

There are a few products which can assist you if you can afford to buy them. They can help with ammonia and nitrAte.

Ammo Chips
Welcome to API Fishcare: AMMO-CHIPS®

This is for ammonia and Nitrate both in one package
Welcome to API Fishcare: NITRA-ZORB®

Zeolite - you can check which might be available around where you live.
Ammonia Neutralizing Crystals

There is help available.

So sorry for your difficult situation and bless you for stepping up and working to learn more to take care of these guys.

The floating part of the fish situation is likely infection and swim bladder issue.

Take peas / food green peas and try feeding the inside of the pea. Frozen or fresh steamed or microwaved till soft remove the green outer shell. There will be 2 sides and a tiny sprout try to see if the fish will eat them. Squeeze a little garlic juice from some fresh garlic clove on the peas if you can.

Many fish stores will test the water for you for free (at least here in USA).

For later if needed
Freshwater Ich? Yuck! - Aquarium Advice

Thank you for the advice, I've read all the links and I'll be sure to do as much as I possibly can for them. I'll definitely try and get jobs for money for the fish too.

I don't live in America so I'm not sure if the shops give a free test but it's worth a shot !

Thanks again !

Back
Top Bottom