Injured dwarf gourami.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mumma.of.two

Aquarium Advice Obsessed
3 days ago my male dwarf gourami showed up with what I thought was a cyst just up from his tail. This morning he had a abrasion just behind his eye. He seems to be flashing occasionally on the heater and wood. He is still eating, like the little piggy he is, way too much. Tank is a 17g. Stock list is in my profile. Parameters are unknown. I will post them in the morning (Australian time) when I get home. Last PWC was 2 hours ago, about 30%. One before that was 4 days ago, about 40-60%.

I've tried my best to get some pics but he is afraid of my phone. Lol.

image-2327693789.jpg

image-1200976331.jpg

I'm still not home yet, so no params, but does anyone have any idea what could have happened to him? What should I be doing other than keeping pristine water conditions?

Healthy water is the best solution to abrasions. My guys have been beating each other up pretty bad lately & i woke to one them having a similar abrasion (scales & tissue hanging off too)-it healed in less than 2 wks by itself. Now, the flashing may be an issue (may be the cause of the abrasion as well) because it indicates some type of irritation- it could be his water, a parasite, or an infection. If your water parameters are fine, some aquarium salt may be enough to alleve minor irritation & increase his mucous coat. Have you used anything new lately (new water condit, food, etc) or added anything new (decoration, filter media, etc)? Keep an eye on him for now & hopefully he will be to himself in no time!

jlk said:
Healthy water is the best solution to abrasions. My guys have been beating each other up pretty bad lately & i woke to one them having a similar abrasion (scales & tissue hanging off too)-it healed in less than 2 wks by itself. Now, the flashing may be an issue (may be the cause of the abrasion as well) because it indicates some type of irritation- it could be his water, a parasite, or an infection. If your water parameters are fine, some aquarium salt may be enough to alleve minor irritation & increase his mucous coat. Have you used anything new lately (new water condit, food, etc) or added anything new (decoration, filter media, etc)? Keep an eye on him for now & hopefully he will be to himself in no time!

No new fish, food, or different water. One thing I did add was a foam background a week ago but I don't think that should make a difference. How would I tell if he has a parasite? How much salt do I add? I've never had an injured fish before :(

Hi! Was it a foam background inside the tank? Theres always the possibilty of the foam leeching chemicals or affecting the ph. Aquarium salt should be @1tbsp per 5 gal dissovled in tank water & added gradually over few hrs (even better-a few days). If he is not new & no other new fish have been added in past few mths, its probably not a parasite. Ich is the most common one (looks like grains of salt on fins, body). It really just sounds like hes irritated by something in the water. Has your ph been stable? Might be worth checking!

jlk said:
Hi! Was it a foam background inside the tank? Theres always the possibilty of the foam leeching chemicals or affecting the ph. Aquarium salt should be @1tbsp per 5 gal dissovled in tank water & added gradually over few hrs (even better-a few days). If he is not new & no other new fish have been added in past few mths, its probably not a parasite. Ich is the most common one (looks like grains of salt on fins, body). It really just sounds like hes irritated by something in the water. Has your ph been stable? Might be worth checking!

Ok I did a test 2 days ago. (been busy - 2 birthdays and Xmas party)
pH stable 7.6 (low range) 7.4 (high range).
NH3/NH4 - 0
NO2 - 0
NO3 - 0 - 5ppm
So far I've added 1 tablespoon of salt. He looks about the same. Still acting normal and he made a bubble nest yesterday.

He should be fine, in a few days it will heal naturally and you won't know it has happened. Just keep water pristine as always. After a few arguments one of my flames had the same rip in the tail, two days later it had healed completely with no help.

Nomadu571 said:
He should be fine, in a few days it will heal naturally and you won't know it has happened. Just keep water pristine as always. After a few arguments one of my flames had the same rip in the tail, two days later it had healed completely with no help.

That's good to know. I kind of freaked out because it came out of no where.

All was looking good. He was getting better. This morning he's taken a huge chunk out of the side if his head! It's about 2mm x 5mm. I don't know whats causing him to injure himself. I've spent hours watching him over the last couple of weeks and I haven't witnessed anything out of the ordinary.

Back
Top Bottom