Internal Parasites

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aces11

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just bought two sunburst platys yesterday and I believe they have internal parasites. They have white stringy poo and when they go to eat, they just spit the food right out. I was going to get Jungle Parasite clear but I don't want or to harm my plants. The box claims it won't harm plants but idk if I should trust it. I've used it before for external parasites and it worked well from what I remember. Does anyone have experience using it in a planted tank? I have many crypts and a java fern right now.
Also if there is something that will treat them better that you would recommend, I'm all ears. I have a 20g with 1 juvie betta, 4 platys, 5 endlers, 5 harlequin rasboras, and a BN pleco.

Also are Jungle Parasite Clear and Parasite Guard (not sure of brand) the same thing? I'm running to the perstore today so I might pick that up instead.

Also are Jungle Parasite Clear and Parasite Guard (not sure of brand) the same thing? I'm running to the perstore today so I might pick that up instead.

They have the same 4 active ingredients including Metrozoidale and Praziquental which are the top 2 go to for internal parasites. PC is my top recommendation followed by Clout for nasty cases but I can't help with plants as my types of cichlids hate them.

HUKIT said:
They have the same 4 active ingredients including Metrozoidale and Praziquental which are the top 2 go to for internal parasites. PC is my top recommendation followed by Clout for nasty cases but I can't help with plants as my types of cichlids hate them.

Thanks for the response. I couldn't find either one of them yesterday but I'm going back out today to look for it again at other stores.

HUKIT said:
API's General Cure will work as well and is easily located at Petsmart and Petco.

Thanks I might have to get that instead. I can't find Parasite Clear or Parasite Guard anywhere. My lfs has PraziPro but it's 17.99 for a 4 oz bottle! Does General Cure contain praziquantel?

EDIT: nevermind I just looked it up. Thanks for the suggestion.

HUKIT said:
No, metro and prazi are very easy on the fish and the biofilter.

What about diflubenzuron and acriflavin? I ended up getting Tetra Parasite Guard which is the same as Parasite Clear.

Good news! After just one day of treating with Parasite Guard, my platys are eating again! I haven't seen them poop yet, but eating is definitely a good start!

I generally don't feed during treatment for internal parasites, as no food means less irritation in the digestive track.

HUKIT said:
I generally don't feed during treatment for internal parasites, as no food means less irritation in the digestive track.

Oh ok. I won't feed them tomorrow then. Is there something special I should feed them after treatment?

No after 4-5 days of treatment just feed their normal diet of flakes or pellets. I don't feed anything else such as bloodworms which can lead to digestive problems.

They're still continuing to eat and I did see them poop today but some of it is still white and stringy so I'm going to do another round of Parasite Guard tomorrow and hopefully that'll clear it out.

Back
Top Bottom