Internal Parasites?? Or just bad luck.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tamtam

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've been having a heck of a time with my tank the last 1-2 months. I keep having fish deaths and for the life of me I can't figure out what is causing it.

I've lost 4 platy, 5 rasbora, 2 neons and a sunset gourami.

First it was the rasbora and a neon, almost all of them in 24-48 hours. This I thought was related to a mistake I made. I did a water changed and added water that was poorly temp matched. It was rather cold and my rasboras often swim into the stream of new water. They just started acting strange and died. Looked completely fine, just swimming strange and eventually died.

Next was my platies. 3 in the fallowing couple weeks of the rasbora. They had fin rot it seems. I treated wity Melafix and the lone platy was still acting strange. Not swimming much, not really eating. Looked fine but hiding near the heater a lot. It died shortly after.

Then my gourami. He seemed fine. Eating normal but I had noticed a while ago he was getting these black dots on him. I had posted a while ago about it. They werne't raised or fuzzy. Nothing I found pointed to a problem and he had them for a good 2 months or more with no fast progression or issue. Not sure if it holds any importance but thought I'd throw it out there. A black area showed up on his anal fin though and he started acting strange. Hiding near tubes or the thermometer and then he was struggling to stay up right. He'd turn vertical with his nose pointed up and his tail straight down. He died shortly after.

Then just last night I noticed 1 of my 4 neons looked strange. He was hiding off in a corner near the top. I looked at it and it was sort of swollen looking. Not like dropsy, its scales were fine but it was fatter and right near it's anal fin was bubbled out. Like a cyst or something. It was normal colored, like the greyish color they have on their stomachs but bulged. I separated it and it died after a little while.

Now I have 3 neons left and a lone angel. I dunno what to do. Everyone seems fine. The neons are picking at each other now. I'm assuming this is just the drop in school size.

Could this be something I'm not seeing like a parasite? Is there anything I can do? All of my reading tells me I can't treat without knowing and nothing seems to make sense for what I've dealt with. Every death has been strange or different than the last. I've been crazy about my water testing since this started and my levels have all maintained well. I can't even figure out why my platies got fin rot.. other than they maybe sick or stressed and it allowed it ot happen but my tests have been spot on normal. 0 ammo and nitrite and nitrate is always below 20.

Only changes that have been made in the last 2 months were that I got the angel and introduced him to the tank and this past week before the gourami died I got some plants. My first plants for the tank, some amazon sword and a java fern. I added a root tab for the swords. Some of the outside stuff crumbled and released to the water before I got it stuffed in my sand but I don't think this could be a huge issue? I really odn't think the angel brought anything with him. He's still completely healthy.. About 3 weeks before the angel and the deaths started I had changed my tank over to sand as well. Not sure if that may factor in.

I've got a 20 gallon empty that I want to set up for QT but really.. I dunno what the heck to do. The others are acting fine now and it seems by the time everyone shows signs of sickness it's too late anyways to save them.

My tank has been running without a lid for a while while mine is on order so maybe something got it that effected them.. but still.. all different symptoms?

I do weekly water changes of about 30-50%. I use PRIME to condition. I run 2 filters on the tank, it's 30 gallons. A biowheel 150 and an aquatech rated for 20-40 gallons. This is so frustrating. I'm feeling completely defeated and not sure where I went wrong. I'm starting to fear I may have to start this all over again from the ground up.

The nitrites should be at total 0% for best results. I am in the same boat as you. Although my problems are more from rookie mistakes than anything else. If you use sprays like febreese and all that then the lid thing might be an issue. Try to have a minimum amount of activity going on in your tank. EG the changing to sand thing may have put lots of stress on your fish just from the activity. Best of luck to you.

Back
Top Bottom