Is my betta sick? I attached a picture

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xxlindaxx05

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My beta has lived alone in a 1 gallon bowl for 3 years. Two days ago I moved him into a 29 gallon tank with 6 sword fish in it. The new tank is recently cycled and I added the swordfish 8 days ago. Those fish seem healthy. Now I notice this spot on the betta's top fin right on the edge. He doesn't look itchy but he is kind of staying in the corner by himself near the heater. The heater does protect the fish against burns. Any idea what this spot is? How I could treat it? Should I move him back into his bowl right away? I attached a picture.

Attachments

• image-2325289559.jpg
    image-2325289559.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 118
  • image-3679675797.jpg
    image-3679675797.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 106
I am not really seeing anything but a purple thing on the end of his dorsal fin. He might be hiding from the swordtails because they are bothering him, and they are much faster.
Your bettas fins are a little clamped and curled, but clean water should clear that up.
Since you didn't quarantine your new fish, I would be extra careful with the betta, since he is an older guy and won't be able to fight diseases and parasites off as well as he used to.

Yea that bump on the dorsal fin is kind of covered with a little white fuzz. I moved him back into his bowl because I was worried about the swordtails bothering him. I did just put bettafix in his bowl. Should I stop that and just clean the water everday? or should I try something else?

I would try the clean water, and see if that helps him out. Give it a week, and if you don't see the fuzz go away, use the bettafix (if it's anti-fungal).

Back
Top Bottom