Is this ich??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DeirdreHoyle

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Today I noticed a white spot on my clown pleco underneath its right eye. Is this ich? My parameters are normal (0 ammo & nitrites and 15 ppm nitrate) and no other fish have spots that I can see.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1454814082006.jpg
    1454814082006.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 61
  • 1454814098971.jpg
    1454814098971.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 60
Can't see it closely enough, personally. Have you added any fish lately, had any problems with a heater, done a pwc with too cool temp of water?

There are a bunch of threads here for treating Ich. Go to unhealthy fish and search forum for "Ich". If you want to keep invertebrates like snails and shrimp I would suggest using a method with heat. But it also depends on what you have in the tank now.

I haven't added any new fish in months. However, a few months ago I got a bunch of brown algae on my plants so I put the lights on a shorter cycle and it helped, but during that time I had some ammonia, like 0.25 ppm consistently for a week or two. I just did daily water changes until it went back to 0. Could that have caused it?

I've treated ich before, I already got out the aquarium salt and I'm gonna do a half dose today just in case....I don't know what else would cause a white spot besides ich but I'm really hoping it's something else.

And I do have a bunch of scaleless fish so the salt & heat method is my best bet

Why I asked about water temp on pwc is because I try and do my pwc just a tiny bit warmer than the tank like a degree only. Added any plants recently? Or anything else from a different tank that is wet?

It could be nothing, I have had a fish which had a dot on it and it went away, never had an Ich outbreat.

Yeah I always do my water a little warmer during wc's too, the temp is really consistent in my tank. No new plants recently and nothing from other tanks....it's so weird.

Ok so I added some aquarium salt and turned up the temp a little just in case it was ich. No other fish have any spots and as far as I can tell the plec has no new spots. I can't even see the original white spot now...although he hides so much it's hard for me to get a good look at his whole body. I think it's crisis averted.

Thanks for your help!

Back
Top Bottom