Is this neon tetra disease?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There is white discoloration near his midsection and spine.

I had them for 20 days. Why do u think it is unlikely? I am treating the tank for ich withe hear and salt.

I can't see what you mean in the photo, but if it's just loss of color, the salt and heat is to blame. Neons are sensitive to salt, and mine got very pale when I treated them for ich.

I say it's unlikely because NTD is just not common. There are lots of other issues with neons that NTD gets blamed for.

Do they get their color back, its only one neon that is affected

I lost a couple during treatment but the rest were good as new afterwards.

How did u treat your ich and how many days did u do it for?

I slowly added salt and increased the heat and did frequent pwc's. After about 2 weeks I started knocking the heat back down and removing the salt.

Was the ich gone? Im doing the same thing u did. What temp did u raise to and how much salt.

I think as high as I could get the temp was 84. I used 1 tablespoon per 5 gals. I raised the temp and raised the salt slowly over a couple of days. When you pwc make sure you gravel vac really good, and replace the same amount of salt that you've taken out.

Impulse09 said:
My temp is at 86. Im using the same amount of salt.

How is this fish behaving? Meaning eating? Swimming ?

If the fish is eating good, I think that you are overreacting, I have seen neon tetras with that kind of discoloration
Living with no problems at all.
Just my opinion.

Oh another thing I forgot add, if you haven't already, make sure to add an airstone until the temp is back to normal. ;)

I had them for 20 days. Why do u think it is unlikely? I am treating the tank for ich withe hear and salt.

Wait, so you're treating them for ich because of this discolouration?
Or were you treating prior to him losing colour?

I was treating prior to him losing color. I saw whites specs on the fish.

Here is a current pic of the neon. He is getting whiter.

ForumRunner_20111203_205749.jpg

ForumRunner_20111203_205823.jpg

Oh dang...is that just a loss of color or is that actually a white growth? It almost looks like it's a fungus.

He died just a little while ago, it was loss if color and he was a lot smaller and skinnier than the rest

Back
Top Bottom