Kind of Disgusting Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Renathen

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi... um, this may be a gross question but my Pl*co's poop covers my whole aquarium bottom. I don't have a clue what to do. I just did a vaccuuming to my tank a few hours ago and already the gravel is covered with long (we're talking over 4 inches here) strands.

My Pl*co himself is about 2 1/2 - 3 inches long. I have him in my 40 gallon until I get my 80 gallon in a few months. He's living with a strange assortment of fish. I have an marble angel, a swordtail and a betta. Some sort of Tetra (probably glolite or harlequin) are coming within the next few weeks.The substance hasn't affected my water chemistry at all yet. It's all fine. I just got him a few days ago and he just dirties up my whole tank.

What do I do about this? Do I vaccum every day to get rid of it all? Ignore it? Feed him less? I give him 3 algea flakes (they are a little smaller than a dime)every night plus he eats whatever algea he can find in my tank. He also sucks on my driftwood a lot too. Are all pl*co's this messy?

Plecos are simply poo machines! Try feeding the fish every other day and when you do PWC, vac half the tank every week.

I have this problem too....I vaccum pretty often in my pleco tank. After sucking on so much algae...something has to come out right?

I give him 3 algea flakes (they are a little smaller than a dime)every night

Who makes these? If they are wafers, three is WAY too many. I give my Plecos half a wafer every few nights, crunched up into little pieces. And that gets split between two Plecos and the Yoyo Loaches.

They have a continuous gut, so they really do eat all of the time (if they can) and poo all of the time, but I don't feed mine but a couple of times a week. Otherwise they have to make do with whatever algae they can find.

Back
Top Bottom