Largemouth bass air bladder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Riverrat1980

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all, found the site and need help.

I have a 2 small largemouth bass in a 20gal tank. The bigger of the 2, is about 5 inches long now, and shows signs of its air bladder being over inflated. I am hoping someone could help me out as to why it would have that problem after about 4 months or so living in the same depth of water, and if it is repairable on such a small fish to begin with. It is starting to become worse, as the last day or two, its having a hard time staying up-right.

I have had numerous cichlids in the past, but this was going out on a limb keeping native species, since the tank was set up and running with nothing in it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hi! I honestly know nothing about largemouth bass but i am going to try & help out here. First, what are your water parameters (amm//nitrite/nitrate)? It sounds like a 20gal is way too small of home for a 5inch fish, let alone two. Swim bladder issues are generally related to water quality issues but they can also be caused by parasites or bacterial infections. Bringing wild fish into a tiny tank, you do not know what they may have brought with them. The only treatment i can suggest trying (in addition to a bigger home) would be metronizadole medicated food if he is still eating. If he is not eating, metronizadole treatment for the water. This will treat a bacterial or parasitic infection but i suspect your water & cramped living conditions may be factor as well.

Hi! I honestly know nothing about largemouth bass but i am going to try & help out here. First, what are your water parameters (amm//nitrite/nitrate)? It sounds like a 20gal is way too small of home for a 5inch fish, let alone two. Swim bladder issues are generally related to water quality issues but they can also be caused by parasites or bacterial infections. Bringing wild fish into a tiny tank, you do not know what they may have brought with them. The only treatment i can suggest trying (in addition to a bigger home) would be metronizadole medicated food if he is still eating. If he is not eating, metronizadole treatment for the water. This will treat a bacterial or parasitic infection but i suspect your water & cramped living conditions may be factor as well.

His info was on the ball.

We really need to know the water parameters. Do you have a test kit?

No, I dont have a test kit at the moment, but will work on getting asap. I know the tank is way too cramped, and when ever I can get things under control, to afford a large tank, they will get one.

i dont think you can legally release them because once you put them in with other non wild fish in a tank that has been treated with anything you cant put them back in the wild.

I do kind of agree on the releasing thing, but the issue now, is its too late in the year and outside temps have made water temps too cold and would be a major shock to them. On the treatment, they haven't been treated with anything at all, other than charcoal filter. The private lake I got them from, is already severely over populated with bass, and I wont put them back in there as next year during fishing season, we are going to take as many out of the lake as we can(by rod and line, no shocking or netting).

There are 2 other options, I can talk to a local lfs that is just starting up, and see if he is setting up a display fw tank that is sizable (he specializes in sw, and has an 800gal show tank) and donate them. And the other option, IF they would even accept them, they would become snacks as soon as they touched the water...

A friend has a spare 90gal, and has no where to set it up, I might see if i can use it until I can get my own.

Aahhh. On the other end taking fish out can be good so that theres enough food for the population

Aahhh. On the other end taking fish out can be good so that theres enough food for the population

Exactly! In the last 3 years, I've caught the biggest, atleast thats been reported out of about 12 regular fishers, at about 3 pounds. But can catch 8" to 12" 3/4lb fish one right after another, all day. VERY stunted lake.

You absolutely need a bigger tank ASAP, your tank is way too small for those fish when they are that size. Barring a bigger tank, be humane and put the fish with the swim bladder issue down and reduce yourself down to a single fish in that small tank.

Yeah i had a 2 inch wild caught minnow and it was so active i thought my 30 gallon was way too small for it. And these are 5 inch bass in a 20 gallon

Back
Top Bottom