Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-29-2013, 01:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

loads of poo...pleco is pooing a lot

We just got him last week for our 90gal tank. There are two gar and a RTC in this tank right now, these fish are all quite small at the moment.

Anyway, the pleco is only about 2.5" long and he is eating all the algae on the log we have in there and is pooing so much more than any of the other pleco's we have in our other tank.

Will this stop once he has eaten a bunch or will he just continue to be like this?

Old 03-29-2013, 04:32 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

My understanding from what I've read from others is they have a BIG bio load so chances are he'll continue to be a poo machine!

Old 03-29-2013, 04:46 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

As lol as the bog woods in there he will eat eat eat eat and eat lol I got rid of my plec as I wanted to bog wood more
Old 03-29-2013, 08:18 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Most likely will keep pooing. Not sure how pleco's are, but usually, the ammount of food he eats should almost be the same as what he will poop.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:49 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishanatic View Post
Most likely will keep pooing. Not sure how pleco's are, but usually, the ammount of food he eats should almost be the same as what he will poop.
Well, we are hoping that is the case and he won't have as much to eat if he keeps going at this pace. I will give it a couple weeks and then maybe find a new home.

thanks for the help guys!
Old 03-30-2013, 12:18 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

I had the same problem, mine was one of only19 fish in an 80 gal aquarium, all small fish...but this guy doubled in size over 4 months and amount of poop was insane, I found him a new home In a friends 130 gallon who needed one badly, and I have to say.. The tank has never looked as nice without him.
He was a good looking fish, but a Poop machine.
I got a couple of otocinclus, who of course can't cover as much algae eating ground as the plecco, but good enough.
Good luck,
Old 03-30-2013, 09:38 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

I had a bristlenose I brought home that poo'd like crazy for a couple days but after that it settled down and the bio load wasn't as bad.

Then I had a green phantom shipped to me that didn't poo for 3 days and now is a poo machine.

So your mileage may vary lol

It's a good thing though that its pooping a lot, unless the poo is white/clear
Old 03-30-2013, 06:48 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Alyxx Send a message via Skype™ to Alyxx
I have five bristlenose plecos, and by the time my weekly water change rolls around it can look like it has been months since I vacuumed the sand instead of a week. As they get older, they just keep pooping more. However, it is a sign that they are healthy and well fed.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:14 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

It looks like he has slowed down already. Like more poo in the first 2 days than in the last 5 so that's good! I hope it stays that way.

He is only 3" long and our RTC is about 6" so we are hoping he doesn't get eaten. It has been close a couple times but a $6 pleco is worth a try in there! So far so good.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:42 AM   #10
JDT
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Hi

I had the same problem - bought my pleco and the little tablets to feed him he pooped and pooped like crazy... I went to the petshop for advice and they said that he is being fed to much and that's the reason for all the poop...as I understand they should only be fed every 3d day or so .... My pleco is happy and healthy .

Tags
pleco

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com