malachite green, formalin and tetracycline?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cyclesteve

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a sick betta he is very listless and seems to have trouble breathing. I gave him a complete water change in his 2.5 gal tank added salt and malachite green with formalin (quick cure) and provided aeration. Not sure if it may be a gill disease or gill flukes. I also have some tetracycline is it safe to give this in combination with the formalin and malachite green?

Are you using these meds at full strength? Bettas can be very sensitive to meds, which burn their gills fairly easily.
Never medicate until you have diagnosed the disease! I would do a complete water change to remove the meds and just keep a close eye on him for a little while. What are your tank parameters? Is the tank heated? Does he have enough open surface area to breathe from the surface?

Its a 2.5 gal heated to 76 deg with aeration. I have a very watchful eye on my betta Henry so I know something is wong. I mediacated with the quick cure 3 drops for the 2.5 gal tank. It was a complete water change so no amonia, nitrite etc. 7.2 ph.

Bettas do like warmer water, around 80F. If you can, I would raise the temp a little. Also, any meds should be given to bettas in no more than a half dose to avoid damaging their gills and labyrinth organ. Other than listlessness and gasping, does he have any other symptoms? Did you test the water before you changed it? He could have been suffering from ammonia buildup before the water change.

he is not eating and that is very unusual for him. The breathing is obviously labored. He also just is laying on the bottom or laying on his plant at the surface. The water before the change had no amonia or nitrite and very little nitrate. I am particular.

Can the malachite green and formalin (quick cure ) be used in conjunction with tetracycline?

I would go with a low dose of the malachite green for now and keep an eye on him. If it doesn't help I would do some more research before starting the tetracycline. Treating with an antibiotic if the infection isn't bacterial can be risky, since it can lead to outbreaks of resistant bacterias in your tank. Also determine if you need gram positive or gram negative antibiotics before using them.

Do you ever feed cooked deshelled peas to help his digestive system? If you have any frozen peas on hand you could try feeding some to make sure some of the listlessness isn't from constipation or bloat. I think the breathing issues should be resolved with the light treatment with the quick cure if it is parasitic, and good clean water will help no matter what the cause is.

Back
Top Bottom