Mass Die off

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bkiggy

Aquarium Advice Addict
29g cube. Fluval 206 canister. BN pleco, 11 Cory cats, 4 Threadfin rainbows, 1 dwarf bosmani rainbow, 1 elephant ear Berra. - here's the thing- added 10 furcata rainbows (babies)
- Betta died, all threadfins died, Dwarf rainbow died o_O, ???
WHY

We need some more information.

Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate

What did you do for an acclimation method?

With the mass die off it is usually because of a spike in something.

We need some more information.

Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate

What did you do for an acclimation method?

With the mass die off it is usually because of a spike in something.

Ammomia and nitrates wont cause a sudden mass die off. Has to be a chemical. Do a 50% change and dump activated carbon in there and if that dont work we can talk diseases!

Ammomia and nitrates wont cause a sudden mass die off. Has to be a chemical. Do a 50% change and dump activated carbon in there and if that dont work we can talk diseases!

Ahh I misread and thought the added babies were the ones that died.

Was there any visible growths on the fish that had died? An acute columnaris infection can potentially wipe out a tank in hours.

Not the babies that died. Seniors. Betta, threadfins, and Rainbow I've had 6/8 months. NO disease visible. Just did 50% WC, changed media = ammonia pack and added carbon.
The babies are all still alive
All Cory's alive
Pleco alive
- just lost a baby , so that's 5 fish in 24 hrs

Did you recently add any chemical to the water? Algae clear. ph adjuster. Anything like that? Maybe someone accidently sprayed roach killer near it. Anything like that? You use declorinator im assuming. Give them plenty of carbon and maybe another 50% tommrow
Chemicals dilutef in water can be tough to remove.

Ahh I misread and thought the added babies were the ones that died.

Was there any visible growths on the fish that had died? An acute columnaris infection can potentially wipe out a tank in hours.

What if it is local water supply that killed everyone? Too much chlorine to "stop algae" in reservoir? Even though I use Prime.?! I had a lot of deaths back to back in November because of antifreeze being added to local reservoir (treatment plant) ... One would never know?! Is there a chlorine test kit from API ??

Almost all gone. 3 babies left. Everyone died but
Cory's, Pleco, shrimp, Snail, 1 guppy = all ok

That's awful for you :( do you think something has been flushed through your pipes? Has your ph been stable?

My PH is lower than the LFS. 7.0 vs 6.4 They won't eat. I offered EVERYTHING. Their starving
- however it doesn't make cense , that the Betta died , all threadfins died, Bosemani rainbow died, Something is a "Rainbow" killer ....

Have you tried frozen bloodworm? Your fish would have adjusted to your ph. Wish I could be more help to you.

My PH is lower than the LFS. 7.0 vs 6.4 They won't eat. I offered EVERYTHING. Their starving
- however it doesn't make cense , that the Betta died , all threadfins died, Bosemani rainbow died, Something is a "Rainbow" killer ....

I will try bloodworms chopped very tiny

Back
Top Bottom