Melafix?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

almcloud

Aquarium Advice Freak
Here is a picture of my Angel Ram (Adolph) and My Electric Blue Ram (Electra)
They chase each other, switching roles as far as who is the Boss (I know, it's interesting, Alpha-Male and Alpha-Female lol).
Anyways, I realized that some of their fins are nipped (see detailed photo of Adolph, look at side fin).
I started using Melafix and a bit of salt (half teaspoon per 5 gal of changed water) right away and did 40% PWC.
I will keep you informed of the progress (the instructions said it might need as much as 7 days to cure).
Any other suggestions?
Thanks.

Attachments

• Adolph fins - detailed.jpg
    Adolph fins - detailed.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 67
  • Adolph & Electra fins.jpg
    Adolph & Electra fins.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 82
i use melafix with my betta when he has fin rot... i have a 5 gal tank and hes in a tank by himself... i did a complete water change before i added it and also added aquarium salt to the initial water change then add the daily melafix doses for the remainder of the treatment

dancersmama79 said:
i use melafix with my betta when he has fin rot... i have a 5 gal tank and hes in a tank by himself... i did a complete water change before i added it and also added aquarium salt to the initial water change then add the daily melafix doses for the remainder of the treatment

Thanks.

after the treatment i do a 50 % water change after the treatment replacing the water like i normally would and add aquarium salt just for good measure.... i did that last time he had it and he healed right up and was beautiful...

@dancersmama: Make sure when treating bettas with melafix you only use 1/5 the regular dose. A full dose is toxic to them, as well as other labyrinth fish. If you compare the labels on the melafix and bettafix products, you'll see the only difference is the bettafix is 1/5 the strength.

For nipped fins, clean water is the best medicine. I would add in an extra water change to your weekly routine, and it should take care of itself. For badly tattered fins, I have treated with melafix and had great results, but IMO salt is not necessary at all unless there is an infection. From what I can see in the photos there the damage is very minor and no meds are needed. It could potentially hurt more than it can help, especially with these sensitive fish.

siva said:
@dancersmama: Make sure when treating bettas with melafix you only use 1/5 the regular dose. A full dose is toxic to them, as well as other labyrinth fish. If you compare the labels on the melafix and bettafix products, you'll see the only difference is the bettafix is 1/5 the strength.

For nipped fins, clean water is the best medicine. I would add in an extra water change to your weekly routine, and it should take care of itself. For badly tattered fins, I have treated with melafix and had great results, but IMO salt is not necessary at all unless there is an infection. From what I can see in the photos there the damage is very minor and no meds are needed. It could potentially hurt more than it can help, especially with these sensitive fish.

Thanks for the advice.

the first time i used melafix my dancer was not himself he clamped his fins and was very lethargic so i immediately changed his water and he was back to normal.... then i started researching it and found that out.... :) i always watch him for a few days before adding medicine to be sure of the problem because i dont like adding alot of different things to his water. I dont want to cause him more harm than good.... this time when i was sure it was fin rot i did a complete water change and manual cleaning of his gravel as i dont currently have a gravel cleaner or water test kit.... then i added melafix and aquarium salt.... then when i add his daily dose of melafix i take him out and add it to his tank and wait 15 minutes before putting him back in and watch his behavior to make sure hes ok.... im wondering if i need to be doing a water change while doing the treatment or let the melafix build up in his water then do another complete water change or part water change??

Well extra water changes are never bad, but treating for a week and doing a water change on the 7th day is fine also. It may be easier for you to keep the dosages correct that way. Be careful not to add too much salt. 1 tablespoon per 5 gals is enough. :)

That's probably not enough to tackle fin rot in most cases, assuming we're talking about a tank of several gallons or more, but if it has worked for you in the past, that's great, since salt isn't great for them.

Yeah it is good to be careful with salt. Up to 1 tablespoon per 5 gals is OK though to treat infections for up to two weeks, if you ever need to. :)

Back
Top Bottom