Melaleuca and malachite green?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mushroomfarie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was feeding my mollies today and I noticed that my Ebony my black mollie is showing signs of ick. I am really worried about my orange molly. He is losing weight rapidly. I also noticed that one side of his face is very swollen. It almost looks like a large consentration of ick gathered at his face. they are all eating still. I am afraid that with the loss of wieght that I am dealing with something else too. I know that you can treating ick by raising the water temp and adding salt. I just don't know how much salt to add. Also with the fact I am probably going to loose the orange one if I do not kill this soon ; if anyone knows a stronger safe cure please let me know.
thank you in advance for any and all impute on this matter.

If you only have mollies in your tank, I would add 1 Tbsp of aquarium salt for every 5 gallons of water. Slowly raise your temp up to 84-86 and then add some additional aeration, like an airstone for extra O2.

There are tons of Ich meds out there, but I have only used Coppersafe. Whatever you decide to use, be sure to remove your carbon filter (only if its less then 7 days old), don't overdose and keep up with your water changes.

Thank you very much. The funny thing is that that is exsactly what I have already done. I still wonder what type of disease it is. A parasite perhaps? I have treatment already for parasites. It doesn't say anything about ich though.

i have had the chance to research more and I found a rather informative link. http://www.thekrib.com/Diseases/ich.html#0 I have come to the conclusion that the swollen face is a secondary infection from the ich that was egged on by the other mollies bullying him. I have put him in a breeder tank (because the entire tank needs treated). And I have been thinking of using Melefix for the bactiral infection and something with malachite green for the ick. I am going to purchase something for the ich tomorrow. I am worried about mixing the medications though.......................

You can definitely use Melafix with your ich med. Melafix is all natural and you should have no problems mixing the two.

Sad news..... He died. I did an autopsy on him after he died though to make sure that I was dealing with in ternal parasites or anything other than ich. His inside were normal but the reason his face looked swollen is because it was covered in a thick white slime. (go figure on a white part of his body so I couldn't see it before. :cry: ) THe ich is fading on the black molly. The dalmation never showed any signs at all. I think she was the carrier. The babies are to small to tell. I am thinking the rest will be ok. However, I also thought that of the orange molly because he was eating...... Time will tell.

Back
Top Bottom