Mollies are Very Sick PLEASE Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boilerwxman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 15 gallon column tank. There are 3 young mollies in it.

Silver molly 1.5" Male
Dalmatian Molly female 1.5-2"
Balloon Belly Molly about an inch.

It has been running and cycled for a little over 2 months now. They are young mollies have had them for about 4 months.

Yesterday they were very active, the only addition was a new 100 W thermometer last night. When I checked on them this morning the temperature was near or slightly over 80 degree. The Ammonia/Nitrite was 0 but Nitrate was high. but the mollies were swimming HARD in place clustered at the bottom of the tank.

I have done 3 PWC since. To get the Nitrate lower. Now since all these PWC the 2 bigger mollies (silver and dalmatian mollies are now breathing "barley" lying on the bottom of the tank. I think the Dalmation molly is gone if it's alive it is 5-10% living. Now the Silver molly is at the bottom breathing but not moving and the little balloon belly molly is swimming hard in place in the corner.

My pH is also normal around 8 that is what we have here and how it has been since we have had them. We got them from neighbors who had fish.

Please help

When I tapped the dalmatian mollie who was laying at the bottom it swam to the top is now swimming I wonder if all the swimming in place has caused them to wear out. Water temperatures is now around 75

It wouldn't hurt to do another pwc

Edit: ok sorry had a phone call let me finish my answer, they might be acting this way due to the sudden temp change. Just keep an eye on them, let the temp stable out and keep us posted

Thanks. Lost the dalmatian molly. The Silver/Balloon Belly Dalmatian have the "shimmies" Getting Nitrates under 10 to 20. Getting Aquarium salt. Will this help with the shimmies?

Hi Boiler,

Did you use the mollies to cycle the tank? Salt does help, unless they're too far gone. As Butterfly mentioned, the sudden temperature change is most likely what's causing this.

David

They all died, what is considered a "sudden temperature change" It went from 77 to 81 with the new thermometer. I am assuming it was the high nitrate. Sadly I didn't measure my nitrates before my first PWC. After about a 50% PWC the nitrates were around 25-35 based on the colors on the API tester.

I am thinking the higher temperature made the bacteria to produce more nitrate. When I found them this morning they were shimming. Then I lost the first one after about 2 PWC. then lost the other 2 tonight after a 80-90% pwc. That also may have done it.

I feel sick. I got these fish from a neighbor who gave them to my boys since they were having lots of fry. I know the Nitrites/Ammonia are 0. The tank was cycled fishless. It appears more Nitrate poisoning.

I think some lack of knowledge caught up with me. 3 mollies in a 15 gallon tank even though still young/smaller around 1.5 for the biggest was too much and a lot of nitrate. Also even though I did weekly 50% PWC and vacuuming the substrate there was still enough wait keeping the nitrate high.

I don't think there was any disease just bad water quality. This means I will be doing more testing with my 75 gallon tank that I have been putting together. There is some good from the mollies dying. Now I can use all the biomax from the AC 30 and AquaTech 10-20 media to cycle the new Canister for my 75 gallon tank.

Jumping more than a couple degrees an hour is considered a huge change. How long did it take for your water to go from 77 to 81? I have to agree its more likely the temp change as high nitrates would take longer to kill the fish unless they were out of this world high.

Thank you all, that seems to make sense since that was really the only major change I made in 24 hours. I thought I had it set close but it turned out much warmer. Thank you. First major tank. I feel bad, but I started my 75 gallon tank and I am cycling it now. Using the biomax from the old tank. I appreciate the info and support.

I guess I am now guilty of a stupid newbie mistake but I will NEVER make the same mistake again.

Boilerwxman said:
Thank you all, that seems to make sense since that was really the only major change I made in 24 hours. I thought I had it set close but it turned out much warmer. Thank you. First major tank. I feel bad, but I started my 75 gallon tank and I am cycling it now. Using the biomax from the old tank. I appreciate the info and support.

I guess I am now guilty of a stupid newbie mistake but I will NEVER make the same mistake again.

Don't feel too guilty we all made either the same, similar, or worse mistake when we first got into the hobby. Myself, I didn't know I was supposed to do water changes I thought that's what my filter was for. And if you have any questions that your not 100% positive of the answer jump on and ask, thats what we're all here for, support and guidance. Let us know how the 75 gal goes!

Please don't be hard on yourself. When I bought my first tank, I walked out of the store with the tank under my left arm and a bag of fish in my right hand...strolling along with a smile on my face.

David

DavidAl said:
Please don't be hard on yourself. When I bought my first tank, I walked out of the store with the tank under my left arm and a bag of fish in my right hand...strolling along with a smile on my face.

David

See we've all been noobs and made mistakes it's all good. I'm sure you'll make more but the best part is you have us to help you now lol

Back
Top Bottom