My Betta fish has one fin in the grave right now, please help!!! D':

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vundercoverdog

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just found him lying down dead on the gravel. I also noticed my mom accidently turned off the tank and filter. Could the temperature have dropped? what about the bacteria, is it still alive? Can my fishy survive? I've beentreating him for swim bladder and tackling an ammonia problem aswell . What can i do? If i do a 50% water change will that help? What if i do it with spring water or distilled water (i know no nutirents) But i dont want to raise the ammonia levels with tap (1ppm, PH 7.8) My parameters are:
.5ppm Ammonia
0ppm nitrite
10ppm nitrate
7.4 PH

Tank: 10 gallon, heated (79F constant), 1 live sword.

Last time i over shot on the liquid fertilizer could that be it ? too much iron?

I also add some aquarium salt to help with the SBD. Please helpp i don't want to loose him!! :( :confused:

I assume you don't normally use distilled water or spring water for water changes and so since those waters will be different from your present tank water in terms of chemicals, minerals, and PH, do a 25% water change, then maybe another 25% a few or several hours later. See if your betta improves.

If you have a water conditioner (chlorine remover) that temporarily neutralizes or converts ammonia to a harmless form (such as Prime or API Stress Coat +) then immediately treat the whole ten gallons of the tank to give your betta some temporary (36 to 48 hrs) relief from the ammonia.

I hope your betta gets better.

I also noticed my mom accidently turned off the tank and filter. Could the temperature have dropped?

Yes, the temperature could have dropped, but I think it would have been a slow enough and small enough drop so as to not harm your fish. Check your tank thermometer to see how much of a drop occured.

what about the bacteria, is it still alive?

It is most likely still alive, if it did not entirely dry out. If it remained wet or moist, then it will still be alive.

Your tap water as 1 ppm of ammonia?

What water dechlorinator do you usually use? Something like Prime would be best b/c it helps detoxify the ammonia. If you just have the Stress Coat, I'd treat the entire tank and see how he does, that's probably all you can do (I'd normally suggest a water change, but with your tap water being higher ammonia than the tank and the tank not fully cycled it probably wouldn't make much difference, although I could be wrong). When was the last time you did a water change?

i do weekly water changes. 10-20%. I'm doing a 55% water change right now. I use stress coat. I added 1/2 cup of carbon like another user suggested. I gave him a salt bath for 15min then put him back in his tank. I will see if he lasts the night hopefully he will. I will treat the entire 10 gallons. Before i change the water i'll test the water again. then post here. Yes my tap is 1ppm of ammonia..

Back
Top Bottom