My Guppy is feeling poorly :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

senemedar

Aquarium Advice Freak
Today my wife have found one of our guppies sitting in the plants. His tail is all folded down and he is not swimming much, keeping his body vertically (like his tail is weghing him down). There was a tiny bit of some red coating on the tips of his tail, that came off with a finger when we were moving him to a separate tank (yes, the one with monster shrimps in it I hate to say, but there is no other place I could move it and I refuse to lose any more fishes!). Apart from that there's no other sign of sickness, no white spots, no nothing.
I don't think it's a fin rot, although I added some Myxazin to the tank (even though I'm rather against the chemistry in the tank), just in case.

Anyone has any ideas what that might be? He's with us for about three weeks now, and I read that's some sort of deadline for the new arrivals to any tank...

Should I repeat the Myxazin tomorrow (again - just in case) - I don't think I need to use it for a whole five days as it says on the bottle, but two-day course (as for adding new fishes) may be not bad idea?
Is it safe for my shrimps? I've used it before with my Amano Shrimps with no repercussions, but I added a few Red Cherries recently...

Oh! And of course I tested the water straight away, and Ammonia and Nitrites are both 0.
Can't test for Nitrates, cause even though I have a liquid test for it, I can't seem to mix ingredients as they should be mixed and it shows 0 constantly, even after giving the vial good workout... I'm getting myself an API test next Wednesday :>

Ps.
I think I should be a writer, seems impossible for me to write a SHORT post...

The Guppy's gone :( The Monster Shrimps got rid of a body.
Still don't know what was wrong :( I did a 50% water change (instead of usual 10) and put an extra filter, as I had one knocking abiut Just in case. Better to be over-filtered, isn't it?

Thanks mate!
Didn't have luck with Guppies since changing the tank. I hope the one I'm getting this Wednesday will change it!

Another day, another Guppy :(
Water's fine, pH's fine. Everything's OK apart from the guppies that don't seem to live longer than a month in the tank :(
Have you got any problems like that?

You can't say the water's fine if you don't know your nitrate reading. Unless your tank is heavily planted, you should not have a 0 reading for that.

How often are you doing water changes?

You can't say the water's fine if you don't know your nitrate reading. Unless your tank is heavily planted, you should not have a 0 reading for that.

How often are you doing water changes?

I'm doing them every Friday - 10 to 15% at a time.
I wouldn't call it heavily planted, but there's quite a few plants-- medium planted? :D

As for Nitrates, I thing I just have a crappy test, I'll try to get a different one soon, maybe tomorrow. How bad is it if it really is around 0? Is it possible to kill just Guppies and not any other fishes? :blink:

I've lost lots of guppies until I sorted my tank out my corys were indestructible! Good luck :D

maestromad said:
I've lost lots of guppies until I sorted my tank out my corys were indestructible! Good luck :D

Thanks! It just seem odd, that even the Amano Shrimps and Red Cherry Shrimps are all feeling fine (and it's suppose to be a delicate thing, right?) and the Guppies can't make it :(

In two days I lost 10 guppies the most resilient were my fry they seem to be extremely hardy. It is upsetting but the 6 I hve now are fab!

Back
Top Bottom