Need advice - Mysterious fish death/illness :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sati

Aquarium Advice Addict
This fish
http://www.ourglasshouse.com/holly/fish/Beta4.jpg
is now this fish
http://www.ourglasshouse.com/holly/fish/DeadBetta.jpg

And this fish
http://www.ourglasshouse.com/holly/fish/Monster.jpg
is now this fish
http://www.ourglasshouse.com/holly/fish/DeadMonster.jpg

Both found dead this morning. I have not lost a fish due to my error or lack of care/treatment in years. And I have no idea what happened here. They were in separate tanks. My water is testing normal. I have not slacked on water changes.

Monster (the Oranda) developed a swimbladder condition a few months ago. Ever since he displayed problems I fed him peas, always soaked his food, tried fasting, etc. He had some days better than others, but it looked like this was going to be a lifelong condition due to his shape. I didn't know what else to do. He was still active quite a bit, though he would float on the top quit often because he was so buoyant. Last night he was still active, but seemed to kind of drift near the bottom of the tank. I woke up and he was dead. What should I have done? He was a very special fish and we're very upset over losing him. We've decided we will not be getting Orandas or Ranchus or any other fish shaped like that again though.

My betta was beautiful and healthy. He made his first bubble nest last month. I had him for probably 6 months. I didn't see him this morning when I fed but my tank is planted fairly heavily so I decided not to flip out. Well I checked again and found his body torn to shreds and he was being consumed by my *extremely* peaceful keyhole cichlid. I don't know what happened.

I have an ancient betta that I got a couple weeks ago that's in its own 1g tank that is fighting an apparent fungal infection. This fish looked like HELL to begin with and is at least 3 years old and on it's last leg anyhow. But yesterday I noticed the white fuzziness on him and started treating him with Pimafix. I am not really concerned with him as he is so old. I am prepared to euthanize him and it's looking like that might happen tonight. But maybe I put my hands in the community tank after having my hands in the old bettas tank? I don't remember. But that couldn't have killed my young, healthy betta so fast...

I didn't have time to watch my fish much this weekend but last week I spent a lot of time looking at my tanks. I saw no sign of illness and no strange behavior. I still don't see any symptoms in any other fish. God, I didn't see any signs with my betta though. This is really upsetting me. I feel like it's all my fault and I don't even know what I did or could have done.

After reading Brian's post I don't want to just start medicating my tanks. I don't want any more of my young, apparently healthy fish turning into fertilizer. Oh sigh.

Oh dear (what gross pics :evil:)!
How long was the beta in with the keyhole?
I would chalk it up as coincidence that they both occurred on the same day. Awhile ago, I lost two Celebes Rainbows in one tank and a Hill Stream loach in another 8O Water parameters were fine on both and no signs of disease.
I would take comfort in knowing the goldfish lived out it's life for as long as possible with you.

I lost several of my rams over a week ago... nothing was new to the tank, amonia, nitrites, nitrates checked out... I hate this stuff. I'd rather have an explanation.

sorry about your fish. :(

They are gross pics... Nice start to my week, eh? I just haven't lost fish in such a long time that this was a real shock to me.

The betta and keyhole were together 6 months. The keyhole is my most timid eater so I think he was just seizing an opportunity and eating a snack since nobody else was chowing down at that moment. The betta was so ragged that there's no way I could tell what happened before he was chewed up.

Thank you for the condolences. Medge, I am sorry about your rams. How long had you had them? I just don't like fish dying when I don't know what happened because it feels like it was for nothing... nothing learned, you know? :?

Exactly. I was so ticked about it, I didn't post anything. I felt like I needed to get to the bottom of the problem 1st. I lost my 2 gold rams while gone at spring break. Water checked out just fine when I got back (a roomie did water changes). Then I lost my mated male blue ram and the non mated blue female two weekends ago. Both times I took my water to the lfs for testing. Nothing. And it was sooo disappointing losing the mated pair. I had the gold rams and the male blue since I got rams over the summer. The last female I had for about 4 months I think. The once mated female is now a loner. For now I'm just not going to get new fish in my 30 gallon. 4 fish gone makes me think its a death tank. :(

I'm sorry for your loss. The differences in the photos are amazing. Did the fish look normal and healthy the day before? If so, that is a quick death, he must have had it for a while and final showed it when he died.

Aw jeez; I'm sorry Sati. It seems this spring is a rough time - a lot of folks are losing fish and many for unknown reasons. I wonder if something is going around? I know there is definitely an issue with the discus; I wonder if its not limited to them?

And I've lost 3 fish in the past month; a neon I knew wasn't doing well and was isolated, and oto and a keyhole that simply disappeared (3 different tanks). I never found any bodies of the last 2, not even a skeleton...in some weird way I sort of envy you. At least in the sense you don't have a double msytery; what happened AND where did they go. I can't even figure out what they might have died from; I have nothing to work from.

Sorry, you're right. It is 10:00 Pm where i am. Must be getting tired.

And Allivymar, did you check behind tank, under rocks, in filter, in plant masses? I feel sorry for both of you.

Holly, this isn't any comfort but yours is the third betta death I've of heard in WA today. Perhaps there's something going on.

Hi Holly, sorry about your fish. God, how awful to wake up and find them like that in your tanks :cry: And it does feel worse when you don't know what happened, you've been timely with water changes, and all water params are fine. Hope you feel better soon.

since everyone seems to be having a prob of one kind or another,,, first my condolences to everyone just know there are many folks out here goin thru the same perplexing things, i lost a healthy nicaruguenses last week, 2 55's and my 30 have blown up with ich and velvet, and lost a complete fry of red humps, i read and read, 600 bucks in lit. over the last year alone, and somehow,, i know it goes to basics, haven't made the connection yet but,,, again my condolences to all

Ali! thats what happened to 3 of my rams!!! they disappeared! No bodies, nothing!

its a conspiracy.... I can see the headlines now 'innocent fish keepers plagued by fish-nappers'

so sad.....

Back
Top Bottom