Need serious advice?? Anchor worms??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sheea

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Alright so i discovered my new fish has anchor worms, and has been in my tank for approx a week with my other smaller oranda goldfish (there are only 2) and i bought tetra parasite guard and stuck a dissolvable tab in today, now the questions are, Will they just fall of and die? What will happen to them? Will the larvae survive in the tank? Will this be a constant worry? By the way, im deathly afraid of anything "worm/parasitic"!

Hi! This product will not be effective against anchor worms. You can try Cyropro or Dimilin/Lifebearer/Dylox/Clout (all have same active ingredient, DTHP). Cyropro is a newer product with less of the toxicity of older DTHP products. I am guessing they are still in the small tank as well.

Are these products available at petsmart? And could u answer the q's above also please? Thanks!

No, any of these products would have to be ordered online. The DTHP products are very difficult to find even online. The worms are difficult to treat. With proper meds, you can kill adults but treatment needs to last 3wks (or longer) to kill off newly hatched worms until the lifecycle is broken.

If i purchase cyropro, can it be used for aquarium and what dosage for a ten gallon??

Cyropro is made by Hikari. It has simple instructions on the bottle and its intended solely for fish use. Follow the instructions exactly including the rec'd water changes before, during & after treatment. Dose is 1tsp per 20gal. Not following the instructions exactly will result in restarting treatment from day 1. Make sure you remove any carbon from your filter. Also, make sure you purchase the cyropro for aquarium use and NOT the cyropro for pond use.

Sheea said:
What if i have carbon in the filter media??

The carbon needs to be removed. The carbon will filter out the medication that you are putting into the tank. Once the treatment is all done you can put the carbon back into the filter.

How the hell will i do that?? Its IN the filter media and idk if my filter takes any other media??

Sheea said:
How the hell will i do that?? Its IN the filter media and idk if my filter takes any other media??

What kind of filter do you have?

Okey I see what you are saying. The carbon is probably built into the replaceable sponge, am I right? If this is the case then I would say cut the cartridge (if you can) and remove all the carbon the carbon will look like black rocks. Then just use what ever remains of the pad in your filter.

Alright that makes sense, i just bought cyropro, so hopefully it will be sent here soon, until then, what is my plan of action? I do have "tetra parasite guard" but apparently it wont help at all. So in the time being, should i continue to administer the dissoble tabs until i get the cyropro? then cut open a filter and empty, with the cyropro?

And i bought pond solutions, i COULD NOT find awuarium solutions, so i did the math and it will need im "assuming" 15 eye dropper droplets for a 10 gal tank? 1 teaspoon per 52 gallons, 1 teaspoon/5= aproxx 0.99945 ml= roughly 15-20 droplets?

Adding the parasite meds right now is pretty pointless because the carbon is removing them. As suggested, you will need to cut the carbon off or slit it & remove it. Ok, dose for pond stuff is approximately 1tsp per 52g. 1tsp=4.93mls. So, its .986mls per 10.4g. I would suggest hitting your local pharmacy & picking up a 1ml syringe to dose accurately because using a dropper is not really accurate here when your dealing with tiny amounts of a concentrated med.

I would skip the parasite meds altogether and start working on removing them from the tank. You should not be combining multiple meds because you are at risk of serious consequences. Leave the carbon in for now and start doing daily 50% water changes until you get cyropro. You will then need to a large wc & remove the carbon before starting it.

Back
Top Bottom