neon blue dwarf gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cogburn

Aquarium Advice Freak
my neon blue dwarf gourami isnt looking too good... i noticed something looking like a sore behind his eye... and the other fish keep picking at it... some of the tetras and the other gouramis arent leaving him alone... i know this is worthless without a pic which i will try to get but he hides in a corner to stay away from the others... hard to get a pic... anybody hear of this?... should i worry about the health of my other fish? everybody else looks great and despite this sore thing he still is eating fine... thanks in advance...

-Larry

I'm not to sure, but I'm sure others will chime in. Does it look like a cut/scratch? I'm sure quarantining him wouldn't be a bad idea until you ID what is wrong with him. Could be possible that he has an infection. Is it white around the eye? More information will help narrow it down some more.

not white... looks like an irritated sore... like maybe an irritated cut or something... unfortunately i dont have a tank to quarantine him right now... ugh...

checked my parameters as soon as i noticed it
ammonia: 0ppm
nitrIte: 0ppm
nitrAte: 20 ppm

so everything is fine there... nobody seemed to ever bother him til this sore developed... im perturbed...

Last edited:
I am certainly no expert, but I have two dwarf gourami and both have had those small sores. Almost look like kanker sores. Mine have had them near their mouth. In both cases, they have gone away and everyone seems happy.

yes they do look like kanker sores... by his eye not his mouth but im sure we're talking about the same thing... thats good to hear... i hear bad things about genetic problems in gouramis and got worried... i guess ill just hold out hope and see if he's okay in a week or 2... like i said he's eating fine... and he never did move around much so that hasnt changed

It may be an injury, do you have any melafix? I would add some to the tank if you have it. It is great at helping healing and won't affect beneficial bacteria.

alright he's not getting better... in fact it seems like the sore is getting worse and the other fish are really bothering him... i think im gonna get a qt tank tonight... the problem is... how can i somehow cycle this tank really fast so i can qt the gourami and not have him die in his own waste?

nevermind im just gonna get one of those breeders that hangs in the tank for now

Back
Top Bottom