Neon tetra about to die :s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

loopyworm

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
One of my neon tetras has been sick the last 9 days or so. He has lost all of his colour and has not been eating. He has still been swimming around, but today he has been swimming vertically to the top of the water and then falling back to the bottom where he lies for a few seconds before swimming around again. As of now, he is lying on the bottom of a float tank. He is still breathing, but won't last much longer. All other tetras are fine. Still have their colour and are still eating. What could have caused him to loose all of his colour?

Pic attached (I hope)
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406097282.187359.jpg

Thanks for your reply. Hmm, is there any medication I should use to stop any other fish getting sick?

Imo, nothing really, I find it is more making sure there is no stress in the tank eg getting chased / nipped by another fish or water flow too high. Otherwise you treat and bacteria just come back eventually. Any fish that are infected should go in QT so they can't pass it on.

If it was parasites (off poop, weight loss, bent shape) - then I would treat.

An extra pwc can help.

UV filter - hmm, in theory this should help but you need a good one and I've found they can still get infections (maybe the transfer rate to other fish is slowed down).

Is this the same tank that your guppies were sick/died in recently?

Water params? WC schedule?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So I am back. Everything was fine for a bit there, I treated with melafix for a week as one of my neons had some ripped fins, but now 2 days later, I'm having a problem with one of my glowlight tetras. I noticed that he was a little bloated 2 days ago. Yesterday it looked at though some of his scales on his gills were coming off and today it seems as though his gill is a bit damaged and has a white growth or something between his gill and mouth.

I have a bottle of multi cure by Blue Planet here that I might try treating with in case this is a fungus, however I'm hoping that whatever is happening in my tank isn't neon tetra disease..

This is the same tank that my guppy was from. He was isolated when he died. Never did find out what was wrong with him... And the neon tetra that was sick the other week passed away.

Water changes are weekly - 40%

Ph - 7.6, Ammonia - 0, Nitrate - 30, Nitrite - 0. Always been like this with nitrates lowering occasionally.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407155038.955495.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407155320.650376.jpg

Alright, so I increased aeration and added the multi cure earlier. The fish didn't seem to like it much to begin with, they swam to the other side of the tank to escape the green, haha. I noticed one of my glowlights started breathing faster once I added the medication, so I'll keep an eye on them.

Also, the body of the glowlight with the injured/white gills has faded a bit today.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407242009.420538.jpg

Here's a pic I took before medicating. He's the one on top. Noticeably lighter than the other glowlight.

Thanks for the help so far :)

Does it say what is in the multi-cure? I assume MG is one ingredient?

Edit - faster breathing should settle down. The first night is when they can struggle. The infection seems flush with scales?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom