Neon tetra disease?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eduguy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a neon tetra and the color is dull and i can see a whiteish spot on it. Not ich or fungus i'm pretty sure. Could it be Neon Tetra Disease? i need help fast before it spreads it(if it is neon tetra disease).

How many neons do you have? If there's a school, is it straying from the school? They tend to do that if its NTD. Also it's unlikely that they will spread to other fish that aren't neons, but it will infect the other neons. You will probably need to euthanize it because it is very hard to get rid of. What is the temperature in your tank? Neons like to be in a little cooler water. Just give as much information as you can give and I will help you as much as I can.

Temp: 79-80
Quantity: 5 Neons in total
Tank size: 10 g
It usually stays with the school.

Any fin rot or bloating? How is its swimming? Are the neons the only thing in the tank?

May very well be the early signs of NTD. If you have a QT tank you could quarantine it. You didn't mention your readings of ammonia and stuff but just to be safe.

I tested the water a few days ago and the readings were little if any ammonia and zero nitrites. I don't have a QT.

eduguy said:
I tested the water a few days ago and the readings were little if any ammonia and zero nitrites. I don't have a QT.

Are you using a drip test or strips? All I can say is watch the sick fish. If it gets worse, or begins getting any of the symptoms I've noted, I'd probably euthanize. It can and will infect all the neons.

Can you post a picture of the sick neon? I spent a lot of time reading about NTD and false NTD trying to determine which one of those my neons had. It seems that false NTD is often the culprit and that is caused by a bacteria, while NTD is caused by a parasite. The symptoms of both are very similar.

I can't get a pic. Can't figure out how to get a pic to the computer.

Back
Top Bottom