Neon tetra disease

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Datreeferman

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi, I bought 5 neon tetras at petco and I had to euthanize one because it had neon tetra disease, now I have 4 left. Is it ok if I have only 4 left? Will they die if there's less than 5 in a school or am I fine with just 4? If they do stress a and die how long will it take before that happens? Thanks.:)

What brings you to the ntd conclusion? Neons ime have died for all types reasons, none being ntd..

It looked kind've unhealthy so I looked online why and the symptoms it had, everything matched up to NTD. Fin rotting,arched tail and so on. I didn't want my other neons to be infected.

Can you provide us with a detailed overview of your setup? More details the better!

I have one live plant(anacharius),the rest are fake. I got gravel & sand,4 tetras and 2 mollies. It's a ten gallon with a good working filter.

How long has the tank been set up? Also tetras will do better in a larger tank, 10 g will not provide them will enough space to swim around and relax, are they all in different corners just kind of sitting around?

The tank has been set up for a few weeks now. Sometimes the school will split and relax but most of the time the tetras will school happily swimming around.

Neons are tricky, they can just up and die for a multitude of reasons, I've had some that get white fuzz and go all crooked and die.. Seems to be the norm with neons..

Those are symptoms of Neon Tetra Disease
i know, but there are many others too, basically the 3 different ways my 3 different neons died were all technically symptoms of ntd.. It just seems to be a scapegoat for a genetically weakened fish..

Are you saying that there is no parasite that causes this disease or are you claiming that neons are genetically weak and that's why they're effected?

Are you saying that there is no parasite that causes this disease or are you claiming that neons are genetically weak and that's why they're effected?
im claiming that some are genetically weak which leaves them prone to a wide variety of issues including the parasite that attacks their intestinal system or ntd.

Neons are very delicate the could of died from something as little as a water change

Back
Top Bottom