Neon Tetra - Fin Rot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aqua Woman

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have four neon tetras in a 10 gal. tank. I noticed early on that one of the fish was a little nippy to the others. As the fish got larger this seemed to stop. However, the top fin of one of the fish took a pretty hard hit. Today when I looked at the fin, the top fin is almost completely gone. Everyone appears healthy other than the missing fin. I have not witnessed any aggressive behavior recently. Do you think this could be fin rot? If so, how do I treat it? Will the fin grow back?

Doesn't sound like fin rot to me, unless your seeing a black/white outline around the edges. Sound like plain ol aggression fin nipping. Keep your water pristine by doing water changes and the tail should start to heal very quickly.

You also may want to add 5-7 more neons depending on current stock list. They are schooling fish and do better in larger groups.

Unlikely, it's probably due to too small of group size. They are a schooling fish and should be kept in groups of at least 7 to prevent nipping. Keep the water very clean and the damaged fins should heal up. If there's room in the tank, you should add more neons. What else is in the tank with them?

Unlikely, it's probably due to too small of group size. They are a schooling fish and should be kept in groups of at least 7 to prevent nipping. Keep the water very clean and the damaged fins should heal up. If there's room in the tank, you should add more neons. What else is in the tank with them?

Agreed. It sounds like aggression to me as well, not fin rot. Fin rot tends to fray the fins as well.

Back
Top Bottom